Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need to replace Tone pot on T14 bass but don't know what pot to purchase  (Read 583 times)

Offline Stratman01

• View Profile
I am helping a friend of mine, that I go to church with, fix his bass. He has a T14  four string with 2 volume knobs and a tone knob. The tone knob is cutting in and out and there is also a wire hanging loose. Can anyone tell me which tone pot to buy and does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bass? Thank you very much for your help!

Online Tony Raven

• View Profile
First, fix the wiring. If one wire's busted, then two/three could be about to fall off.

Then, clean the pots. First, just turn 'em back & forth like a few dozen times each to see if that clears the crud off the resistive element.

If not, consider giving each a blast of Caif DeoxIT, then repeating the previous step.

If that doesn't work, then measure resistance with a $10 VOM, or just read what's stamped on the pot's shell. Seems like 250K is pretty much the standard for passive bass circuitry, & there's no good reason to pay more than $7.95 (Musician's Friend). Get linear taper, of course.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/