Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chinese Tauruses with BADLY MADE BRIDGES!  (Read 3864 times)

Offline gebass6

• View Profile
Chinese Tauruses with BADLY MADE BRIDGES!
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
I used to own two 2004-2005 Tauruses.
Both were made in Vietnam.
Sadly.I sold them both.
I wish I hadn't.

Fast forward to 2016.
I decide to buy a T-25.

OK.
So now they're made in China.
Stained mahoghany body that shows no wood grain.
And they have no body contour cuts.

The electronics are crap.
That I can live with.
They can be upgraded.

But the worse offense is the chrome bridge that is badly designed.
The spring screws holes in the saddles are too close to the center of the saddles.
Which forces the builder to put the saddle grooves to the left ..
Now because the saddle grooves are off center,it forces the builder to mount the bridge to the right.
Off center.
So you can see that the bridge is NOT sitting evenly on the neck thru stringers.

THAT is why I'm seeing so many pictures of Taurus basses with that odd off center bridge.

Go to the center picture on this link.
https://reverb.com/item/1356638-washburn-t25

Now.
At this point,it's not really an issue.Because I tend to prefer gold bridges,knobs and tuners.So I'll be upgrading these anyway.
Along with the electronics.
But how can anyone  tolerate this QC lapse??
How many have seen this?
How long has this gone on and no one says anything?

My advice:Watch out for sellers who use catalog photos in their sales ads.
You don't see what you are buying!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:35:25 AM by gebass6 »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Chinese Tauruses with BADLY MADE BRIDGES!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
Because it looks like most buyers would rather "save" a few dollars than pay for any sort of quality inspection. :(

And there's a LOT of players out there with no idea of what a properly set-up instrument even is. :o I encountered the same bridge problem with a used Warmoth bass, built about 1999. It has a Gotoh bridge that prevents proper intonation -- realize the original owner paid $240 for the finish alone!! -- yet judging from the fretwear it's got many hundreds of hours of playtime showing. (It's also got a dead-flat neck not correctible by the trussrod.)

That Reverb.com listing says it'd be mine for $450 + $20... yet street (GC, MGR) is $471.34 delivered, with EXCELLENT return policies.  ???

(Speaking of Reverb, there's a used T25 for $300 + $25, & another for $180 + $45, both willing to consider lesser offers.)

A few years back, I got swayed away from a T25 by a charming T-Bird Pro-V in natural, but suddenly a Curbow4 & EDA-905 filled all my bass needs.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline gebass6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »
[
Because it looks like most buyers would rather "save" a few dollars than pay for any sort of quality inspection. :(
When has any buyer ever paid for a QC inspection in addition to the price?

Isn't that something that most manufacturers do automatically?
To catch bad items and defects before they get to the customer?
Chinese or not .Washburn has a responsibility to correct this.

It takes no setup experience at all to look at a bridge and say "That's not in line.Somethings wrong"
The intonation is fine.
It's just a badly engineered bridge that should have never left the plant.
And judging from the pictures there's a whole lot of them out there!!
If the string slots in the saddles were in the center,the bridge could be centered properly,
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:38:09 AM by gebass6 »

Offline gebass6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »
Update.
As of 3.30.16 the bridge has been replace with a high quality Hipshot bridge.
The bad electronics have been replace with a Best Bass Gear pre-wired harness.
These electronics respond in a logical predictable way.
I noticed that the pickup leads were attached to the blend pot previously.
The scematic for the new electronics are attached to the tone pots.

Offline christianmoller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 12:33:50 PM »
Hello,
I know this is kind of old post but...
Will be very interesting to see what i get,orderd one Before i saw this post(late october 2016).
I tried a used old one at the store and thougth this is the way to go,we will see.

/Christian

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »
It's a great-looking bass. If you find one that plays well AND sounds good plugged-in AND the price is in your range... then it's a deal. When you buy online, you get what you get... but most times a little patiance (or experience) corrects any difficulties.

To readdress the root post: I have seen garbage guitars that were made side-by-side with great instruments. Stuff happens. This is especially true when manufacturing is shifted to another country -- like, early MIM Fenders were often of lower quality than present-day MIC Squiers. It's not unusual to find that early-run MII, MIV, MIK, & even MIJ are barely playable.

For years I wasn't a fan of MIC instruments, then I played two "identical" guitars side-by-side (sometimes called an A/B) & was forced to admit that the MIC version was every bit as good as the older MIK.

And, yes, when millions of semi-clueless players demand to save a dollar or two, quality WILL suffer[/i]. So, "quality control" at the factory will do little more than assure all the parts are attached, & "quality control" at the distribution end will assure nothing has fallen off -- that's IT. :o Any "setup" involved is mostly "by eye" & don't involve any playing much less an electronic tuner.

Not so many years ago, it was the retailer who would check each instrument & do an actual setup -- intonation, trussrod, nut height, etc. But thanks largely to the Internet, most buyers would rather save twenty bucks than have that work done. One shop owner in my area actually plays EVERY guitar that comes in & has been known to return half a shipment for not meeting his standards -- you can get the same models online cheaper, but I seriously doubt they'll be BETTER than the ones he accepted, & what do you think the distributor did with the rest? That's right: sold 'em online to clueless bargain-hunters. ::)

If you get a new guitar that's not up to your spec, then WHY would you keep it???
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline christianmoller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
Got it today.............
A bit dissapointed i must say.
Screws to microphones not all the way down,offset bridge,one potensiometer with "glitch",did expect more.
I have contacted the company i bought from to see what they will do.
Some pics.

/Christian

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:19:23 PM by christianmoller »

Offline gebass6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »
And there it is!
That's exactly what I'm talking about!

Offline christianmoller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 11:41:29 AM »
Yup!
Got help from the store i bought it from(VERY helpful :) ).
They took it back no shipping charges, no questions,got me a Yamaha.
Too bad the quality have dropped,i kind of like the older ones...

Christian