Username: Password:

Author Topic: JB-80  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
JB-80
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:11:16 AM »
On the way... fingers crossed...

Only the third JB-80 I've seen for sale, & while I really don't NEED another guitar, this was (literally) just too good to pass up.

I'm baffled that Washburn can't keep more of its distinctive (often innovative) "celebrity" guitars in production, even when the endorser has slipped away from superstardom. Heck, sign 'em up again anyway! Free exposure is free exposure, right? All that work to design something original in this copycat marketplace, then (aside from the "Nuno" line) chuck it out the airlock after a year or two.

At least, they could give a guitar a new prefix & a few different colors, et voila -- new model.

Batten sure seems amenable: the ONLY guitar mentioned on the "Gear" page of her website is the Washburn Parallaxe series. :)

Anyway, maybe I'll have to get some photos up when it arrives.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: JB-80
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
Yep, it's here, it's beautiful. The previous owner replaced the locking nut with a Tusq, but it looks like a pro job, so no big loss. A 2002, so fairly early. The only damage I can see is a 1/2" dent between upper horn & neck heel.

It's got a Duckbucker in the middle, with a coil tap. Again, looks like a pro install. Never tried one of these, so it's an adventure.

Overall:  :o ;D 8)

More later.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
QUESTION #1 -- as usual, this guitar arrived with no trem arm. It appears to be a decent-quality Floyd Rose ("Washburn" branded). Is it a push-in, or threaded? (I can figure it out, but I'm fundamentally lazy. 8))
Oooops -- clawing THAT one back. :-[ Wow was I tired!! Picked up the guitar after a nap, & there's the externally threaded coupler just a-starin' back at me. ::) Confused it with the BT-6's push-in. (Being honest, I left the significant part of my boneheaded question.)

QUESTION #2 -- while I'm grateful for the Duckbucker ($76 online), I'm curious about why it's in the middle. As the JB-100 has a bridge Little '59, & a second D-bucker at the neck, while this JB-80 has singles (probably the original WB630), all I can figure is someone LOVED the quack. Anyone see a particular need to upgrade the other pickups?

QUESTION #3a -- with Stratoid guitars, I tend to use the neck pickup for jazzier stuff & deep blues. If I'm gonna upgrade, I might as well keep the theme going, so any suggestions for an appropriate Duncan?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:06:54 PM by Tony Raven »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 12:06:07 PM »
Okay, NOW suddenly I remember why I dislike Rose trems on working guitars -- MAINTENANCE.

The string-changing is enough of a hassle. As I've said elsewhere, I've actually replaced a busted string on my lead guitarist's hardtail while he was playing... & the Rose is kinda the opposite of that (though still easier than digging the ball end out of some Fender trem blocks).

On my JB80, the D string was pulling free from its little black lock-block. I tightened it, but the string kept slipping. But checking the other strings, ALL were looser, yet THOSE strings weren't slipping.

After trimming the D & re-locking it, the thing STILL slipped a couple times, & seems to be holding... for the moment. Not something I'd trust to tak onstage!!

So, now I've gotta figure whether to just replace 'em ($8.99/dozen) or upgrade to titanium ($30/6).

If I wasn't changing strings very often, I'd think that a softer metal -- stainless steel or even brass -- would be MUCH better, at least on the three wound strings, because the metal would deform around the winds & get a better grip. Sure, they'd eventually need replacing, but ain't that what I'm already doing...?

Well, at least this axe has had the Rose properly adjusted, with the baseplate almost parallel to the top, & two of the strings are the teensiest bit sharp atthe 12th fret but most players would never notice.

(That'd be Complaint #2 about FRs: there ain't no such thing as "a quick intonation touch-up." Even the least minor tweak is a major operation. Not that it NEEDS to be done often, but now I kinda dread seeing a Rose-laden guitar the first time, knowing the work ahead.)