Username: Password:

Author Topic: WG26 variations  (Read 5206 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: WG26 variations
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
Yeah...I liked my WG26S so much I ordered a second one today.

I'll get my Epiphone Masterbilt back over Thanksgiving vacation and will then be able to compare the sound of the two. I thought my AJ500RC sounded good, but this WG26S may give it a real run for its money!

Cheers!

Doug
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: WG26 variations
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 10:24:51 AM »
The second WG26S has arrived and I notice a few differences between the two I own. First of all, one serial number starts with "CC", followed by the serial number, whereas the newer one has just one "C" followed by the serial number.  This leads me to believe that perhaps the two guitars were made in different factories. "CC" would (if my memory is correct) be Cort, China...but both paper stickers inside the guitar are clearly marked "Made in China" at the very bottom, so I guess it might be possible that both were made in Cort, with the expectation that the second "C" might be redundant since the paper label is so clear about the guitar having been "Made in China"? Other differences between the stickers relate to the model number designation (The "CC" version says "WG26S" followed by "Natural" whereas the "C" version simply says "WG26S".)

There are other differences in construction, minor as they may be. For example, the maple binding around the body at the soundboard is "wider" on the "CC" model than it is on the "C" model...but both are exactly the same model, so how is that happening unless they are made in different factories?

This newer "C" model seems to be much louder than the "CC" model. Both have exemplary consistency across the strings. This model is the best I have ever heard regarding what I think is a very common "muting" of the G-string...it is quite obvious on some of my Washburns and quite notably absent on both of the WG26S guitars...but the "C" model just seems to enjoy about a 3dB advantage in volume for some reason.

One thing I think is a bit unusual...the braces under the soundboard, which are tapered, are rather poorly "shaved"...it looks like somebody did the tapering with a kitchen knife. Most of my Washburns have much more "professional" looking work in that area...like it was shaved by a machine. It probably has nothing to do with the splendid sound of this model, it was just something I noticed as I was looking at the guitar.

Already one of my friends wants to buy one of my WG26S guits...I may well sell him one and use the $$$ to buy a 3rd one...it might be a nice opportunity to choose the best two, or the two that match the best in appearance.

This Washburn sounds as good as my Epiphone AJ500RC Masterbilt, which I just had "juiced" and will get back (hopefully) this coming Friday.

Cheers! I'll come back again and update this thread as I get more acquainted with these fine instruments.

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:41:11 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC