Username: Password:

Author Topic: Was it worth it? WI-18?  (Read 937 times)

Offline KeziaPurrs

• View Profile
Was it worth it? WI-18?
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »
Hello all!  I purchased a new Washburn WI-18 on eBay the other day for $165.  Was it worth it?  I couldn't find any real reviews or information about it on the internet.

I made a low-ball offer on the guitar not thinking the seller would accept.  Well, low and behold, I'm the owner of a WI-18.  Won't arrive until next week. 

Should I turn around and sell it brand new in the box or keep it?  Anyone played on one?

Thanks,
Lisa

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Was it worth it? WI-18?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:46:46 PM »
Working without notes 'cause I'm halfway to bed... ;D

The Idols were a good series with some interesting quirks. The workhorse of the family was the WI-64; it had a few variants, which I've compared favorably to higher-end Epiphone SG & LP models.

I think the cheapest Idol was the bolt-neck WI-14, then the carved-edge WI-15, followed by the set-neck WI-18 (mahogany body & neck, & quilt top)

Like so many excellent Washburn models, though, the Blue Book valuation of Idols is about double what the guitars actually sell for.  In near-mint condition, a WI-14 might be priced at $75-$125. On a recent search, it looked like the WI-64 were around $200.

Last year, my WI-66V cost me less than $250, delivered -- beautiful axe, but there was simply no demand.

So, basically, you didn't get a bargain... but you did get a good guitar at a decent price. The worst I've heard said about the 18 is that the pickups could've been better selected for a mahogany/mahogany.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:49:20 PM by Tony Raven »
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/