Username: Password:

Author Topic: bridge lifting across back  (Read 772 times)

Offline HuddyLfan59

• View Profile
bridge lifting across back
« on: May 07, 2016, 06:53:18 AM »
Yesterday I finally bought a D10S12. Well stupid me didn't do a thorough inspection of this guitar before I paid for it. Got her home,started tuning her up;and I hear a faint creak. Uh-oh. The bridge has lifted across the back to the thickness of between 1/16 and 1/8. Put an inspection mirror inside and didn't see any bracing loose or any other damage underneath the bridge.
Is this common on this model (think it's a 2003) and what's a ballpark price on repairing her?

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: bridge lifting across back
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:02:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Lifting bridges are not uncommon on any older, 12 string guitars.  The simple extra stress of six more strings does create problems with neck sets, lifting bridges, bracing, etc..  The good news is a bridge re-glue is a very simple thing to do.  The old bridge is removed, usually via the application of heat and the careful use of a putty knife.  Once the bridge is off, the surfaces are sanded clean, glue applied and the bridge is clamped back in place.  After the clamps are released, usually 12-24 hours, then it's a simple matter of cleaning out the bridge pin holes, string her up and you're ready to go.  Should not cost more than $50, assuming no other issues need to be addressed.

Good luck.

Offline HuddyLfan59

• View Profile
Re: bridge lifting across back
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
Thanks.

There are a few luthiers close to where I live. One in particular is only three miles from me and he makes custom acoustics and I've used him before for my Strats. The others I don't know their work.