Username: Password:

Author Topic: Happiness Bar for Acoustic Guitars?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
Happiness Bar for Acoustic Guitars?
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:52:03 AM »
A while ago I was reading an article (which I've included below) about something called an happiness bar, seems it is used to shore up the warped sound board of an harpsichord. Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard use of something like this ever being used to shore up a warped sound board on an acoustic guitar? Hope this is not too stupid of a question, seems that it would be somewhat impractical for that use....but; was just curious.

http://www.hubharp.com/technical_articles2/soundboard_warped_soundboards.htm
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:46:29 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Happiness Bar for Acoustic Guitars?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:47:21 PM »
I thought there was something years back posted by user Tio Kimo, but I gave up after ten minutes of search. Maybe you can do better.

Memories are vague, but it was something like a support bolted to the underside of the bridge plate.

If kept reasonable-size, this could add to tone & sustain. (It's countervailing the up-pull of the strings.) But I get the feeling that the larger you go, the more sound you'd sacrifice.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
Tony Raven....Pike... thanks so much for your replys..life seem to have caught  up with me these days..I'm extremely busy, (like all of us I suppose) so it has taken me a while to get back to this thread. I think you've hit it right on the head Pike. I could find nothing...other than a luthier doing some extensive work to fix the problem of shoring up a warped soundboard, that even comes close to the way a happiness bar may work for a harpsichord. I was deleting some old files the other day and ran into the same link that you posted leading to JLD Guitar Research and Development, Inc. Must have saved it some years ago, and had forgotten about it. Seems to be a product that would work very well for this purpose. Even seems to be a good idea to install it on a well loved, cherished acoustic guitar, whether it has a warped sound board or not.....don't see how it could hurt.....