Username: Password:

Author Topic: This old washburn??? take 2 (with pics)  (Read 23660 times)

Offline rowo

• View Profile
This old washburn??? take 2 (with pics)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 10:39:34 AM »
So I asked Jim Self about his fretless Vulture II bass. He answered me and allowed me to quote it here:

My Washburn is an original fretless bass--a gift from the company.

It also has a long detachable peg that you can use like a cello or even
standing.

That clears the case for his bass but leaves a little confusion to me about the difference between a Vulture and Vulture II.

Offline BruceB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 03:03:21 AM »
Hi All, I've been asking the same question since I bought my Washburn fretless bass about 3 years ago. No one can tell me what it is, not even Washburn. I'll post some pics as soon as I work out how.
Regards to all, Bruce

Offline n/a

• deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »
Ha HAH!  What you have is one of the first SB-40 series starting in 1980! It looks passive with no battery compartment AND I notice the circuit cover matches the wood---that was changed to brushed aluminum. When I say you have one of the first, I mean FIRST as they quickly added a small toggle switch (which gives a great sort of minimal OD/phaser effect) at the rear of the knobs and made it active. Yours is really beautiful BTW and unusually gorgeous wood. I own 2 SB-40's--one I bought new in Los Angeles in 1980! My original pickups work fine and deliver VERY good tone. And yes, it is WING series headstock. It sold for about $750 new. Quite pricey for the times. SB-40 is my favorite bass (I have 6 basses including a brand-new condition 1980 Washburn B20 and a Langcaster bass (only 12 in the world---go check out www.langcaster.com !) IMHO the neck action in SB-40 is superior to anything I have ever played.  I also own an '83 Force 40 which is exactly like its SB-40 predecessor, but the nut was changed to plastic and the headstock is 4-in-line tuners.  Wow------keep hold of it---quite rare!! Unfortunately, few people know anything about them so they do not command a high sales price. Lucky for me cuz my second SB-40 with original documentation and case only cost me 500 bucks! I guess you can tell I am a nut about the SB-40s! Man-oh-man if you ever wanna sell it I am call out dibs to be first offer!!!

Offline gpercy1

• View Profile
    • http://www.songsinthekeyofart.com
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 01:39:46 PM »
That's super-Question is finally answered! The Music store I bought it from couldn't figure it out either-Thanks for the help--Bruce (above) would probably like this too...

Offline BruceB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 02:11:37 AM »
Thanks Meker. My bass has had EMG's installed by a previous owner. Whoever installed them did a fantastic job. The battery holder has been cut into the back plate but you'd swear it was factory. The reason I bought this bass was because of the feel of the neck. It's a breeze to play and sounds great. I don't know what the genuine pickups sound like but the EMGs suit this bass quite well. I still haven't got around to posting pics yet.
Regards to all. Bruce

Offline BruceB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 08:58:42 AM »
Hi All. A follow on on my fretless SB-40. As I mentioned before my bass had been fitted with EMG's. One of the split pickups died. Very unusual but it happens. I decided I'd like to try something other than EMG's for this bass so I selected some passive Bartolini classic bass series P/J pickups with some help and advice from Brian at Best Bass Gear in the US (bestbassgear.com). There's no Bartolini distributer in Australia so I have to buy them from the US. anyway the price was right, US$170 for the set, $28 for postage. Anyone wanting to upgrade the pickups on their bass should consider the Bartolini's. I've got more punch than before and overall a really warm sound. I've found sometimes EMG's can get a bit harsh in the midrange with some basses but the Bartolini's are smooth all round. I'm absolutly rapt with them and would absolutly recommend them and Brian at Best Bass Gear.
Regards,
Bruce

Offline BruceB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Hi all. There is a fretted Washburn SB-40 for sale on ebay, Australia. Looks original.

Offline jobal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
Alas, I understand that my Vulture is really a SB-40.
Life is good to me (I think).

http://www.festikvarnen.com/minbas.JPG

Offline 81force40eq

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
Hello all, a forum n00bie here.
I was glad to find a forum discussing my favorite old guitar.

I cut my teeth on the typical old fenders and gibsons when I
was first learning Bass over 30 years ago.
It was Love at first sight when I saw that(which soon came to be mine)
Wine Red Washburn Force40eq bass in the window of the music shop right outside of Ft. Bragg NC, where I was serving at the time.

I promptly bought it and it has been my only Bass ever since.
Truthfully, I never really played in a band or anything other than
the occasional off-post talent show and a LOT of jamming at the on-post music center. It mostly sat lonely in the corner, waiting for the next session, which came increasingly infrequently.

the plus side is that the guitar has suffered none of those horrifying stage accidents or belt-buckle scratches to the back.
Most people (even other bassists) are taken aback at the length of
the guitar, due to it's double-scale neck, which is, of course, indispensible. the on-board active system with parametric EQ give the
bass plenty of twang when you want it, which allows me to string it with flat-wound strings for a beautiful sound without string-screech and giving flawless glissando. I'll take some digital pics when I get the chance and get them up here for everyone. It's always been admired as a beautiful looking guitar, and I've yet to see another like it, which leads me to believe that the other colors (sunburst tricolor and tobacco brown clear) must've been more popular than the Wine Red clear I have.
As you can tell, I love my B40eq. Don't knock it til...well, just don't knock it!!
[;)]

Offline PaulTepa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »
I have the exact same bass. I think it is a SB-40 or Vulture, not sure. The number I have is 812527 and is burgandy in color, very beautiful bass. The case for it is odd, looks like it was a prototype, it is made out of wood and the inside is cushioned and has a compartment for storage. It has some nicks and one tuning peg is missing. I am going to fix it up and I might sell it. Does any one know what the value of these rare basses are?

Offline robbiewest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »

Offline robbiewest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
As you can see, this is another beautiful example of an early SB-40 or Vulture II

Offline robbiewest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
Forgot to mention the previous owner had a new set of stainless steel saddles made to replace the brass ones.  I have the originals and would appreciate any feedback on whether to reinstall the brass ones.  Will it give it a more ballsy tone or brighter tone with the brass saddles?

Offline Meker

• View Profile
    • http://www.mekgames.com
Re: This old washburn??? take 2 (with pics)
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
Old old topic here but have to resurrect it as I just stumbled across it googling stuff. I have been researching history, for years, for the SB-40 of 1981 and the SB-40EQ of 1982 (my favorite all-time basses altho there really is NO difference between them) and others made by Yamaki and Matsumoko for Washburn---you know, our favorite basses!  I see the I miscalled the identity of the posters bass!  It is NOT an early proto of the SB-40.

It is a B-40.  The 4 pots + 1 switch is the clue. 

ALL SB-40s came out in 1981 with 3 pots, 1 toggle and 1 mini-switch which is often called a phaser but in the Japanese schematics called "Resonance" which I think you can think of as slight harmonic  bite added to the tone.
The 1982 Wing series B-40 kept the 4/1 elec package altho Washburn also issued the changed Force-40 style B-40EQW and that one (as did all Force 40's) adopted the SB elec package of 3/1/1 and. The Force 40 series headstock introduced 4 in-line tuners which ended the Wing series and in 1982 included the first Force 40EQ, the Force 4, Force 8 and, of course, the B-40EQW. ( I have the catalog page). The Force 40's also had the 3/1/1 elec package of the SB-40. As usual, with Washburn we expect the unexpected so of course I found something to add confusion to all this. I have a magazine review of the "OTHER"1982 Force 40EQ. Yes, it has the Force headstock.  BUT it has a completely unique elec package of 4 pots/1 toggle/1 mini-switch (the old B-40 electrical configuration)!!! :o  Also came out with the Force 30 guitar (Strat copy). Funny thing is, this thing, the Force 40EQ, is sent out for review and, as far as I have ever seen or researched---never made it to market except in EXTREMELY small numbers.  I know the British reviewer got one and I have found a picture of a guy playing one---but thats it! The Force 40EQ that was actually mass marketed was the SB40 3/1/1 package as the ad shows.  But I have a great photo in the magazine for this 4/1/1 Force 40EQ.  If anyone EVER comes across one--GRAB IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway:
1980  B-40 Wing Series with the Vulture II electrical package, B-20 Stage basses begin along with the 8-string B-20-8 Stage bass
1981: same along with the new SB-40
1982: the Wing series SB-40EQ (same as the '81 SB-40), the Force-40 styled (U)B-40EQW(/U), the Force 40EQ,  Force 8 and Force 4, the B-20 Stage Bass and the cheaper B-5 Stage bass introduced (Scavenger,Vulture I and II still being sold),
1983: Wing series B-40, Force series B-40EQW, the regular Force 40 begins, Force 4's and 8's and B-20's/5's (Vulture I and II still being sold as well) 
1984: B-40EQW, Regular Force 40's, introducing B-20 and B-5 Stage BBRs and Force 40 BBRs and Force 8 BBR (single pup)--BBR'd completely: body, neck and headstock --only in 1984.
1985: last year for the B-40EQW, Force 40, Force 4+8 and the only BBR is the Force 8 BBR which is NOT BBR'd on the maple fretboard neck--so its a partial BBR.
(There are other lower valued Washburn basses in these but I am concerned only with the SB+B40 history. Email me if you want to know)
If anyone ever come across more info to change this, PLEASE let me know. There are still plenty of surprises in trying to unearth the lost history of this period's basses I am sure I personally am at mekentinc@yahoo.com.  I have not included my guitar info---just basses here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:00:24 PM by Meker »

Offline Meker

• View Profile
    • http://www.mekgames.com
Re: This old washburn??? take 2 (with pics)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:50 PM »
Today, 27 Sept 2013 I just edited my last post on Washburn basses here (just above this post) due to newly discovered info. In fact just today I found my first B-40 LEFT-HANDED bass, it is 1982 with SN 820888!  AND it had a 1981 SB-40 truss rod cover on it! Had to be a factory mistake at production, who might have had a 1981 truss rod cover laying around because SB-40's are so rare I can't see someone finding one and slapping it on the B-40. Way to coincidental.  Remember all B-40 had blank truss rod covers as did  the Scavengers, Vultures I and II.  B-40 series FINALLY had the name put on the truss rod cover with the 1982-1985 B-40EQW.  Also I know its a 1981 truss rod cover as the 1982 SB's were issued as SB-40EQ, not just SB-40.
Anyway---hope ya'll find it of interest and remember to please contact me with any discovered brochures, ad or additional info, especially for the 1981 SB-40 (when it was introduced).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:01:46 PM by Meker »