Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help me identify this Guitar.  (Read 2392 times)

Offline kenny

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:48:55 AM by kenny »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Help me identify this Guiter.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Looks like a nice older parlor guitar. We have a number of historians who may chime in, so keep checking back.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

ship of fools

Re: Help me identify this Guiter.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
made around 1889 ( could even be a few years older ) the model is a Style 6 the tailpiece is not original should have a ebony flattened pyramid bridge and rosewood back and side and a spruce top and an ebony fingerboard. ship

Offline kenny

• View Profile
Re: Help me identify this Guitar.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Is there any resource that I can look up the numbers on the neck to find out exactly what year and any other interesting facts about it?

ship of fools

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
unfortunately not really what else did you want to know about it and dating these are based on the numbers but they are only approximates from history gathered as all records were lost due to a fire ( 2 actually ) at Washburns factory. ship

Offline kenny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »
Hi Ship.
 What I would like to know of course, is exactly what I have, Is it worth restoring )working on and replacing parts), and how much would it be worth?
 Should I get another bridge and replace the tuners, or can I get just the bone part and repair the tuning peg mechanisms?
 I want to sell it, so should I sell it as is, or repair with the parts then sell it? I already have an old (1889-1892) Martin so I don't need another small guitar.
 What do you think would be my best options?
 Thanks for the help.
 Kenny

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 01:27:32 AM »
In my opinion, the only old Washburns worth fixing for collectibility have lots of inlay work. For instance,

Otherwise, you can easily spend $1,000 fixing a guitar that'll then have a value of about $500.

Also in my opinion, it's totally worth it IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY IT. The very first parlour I ever touched was a reworked late-1890s Washburn, back around 1980, & I still regret not having the $450. Modern Washie parlours are very good -- thinking the R320 here, which I have played -- but didn't have the (for lack of a better word) character of the antuque.

While you could possibly find someone to pay an outrageous amount, & there are certainly plenty of sellers expecting such, very few undecorated models ever sell for $1,000+ -- & those are in pristine condition.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

ship of fools

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
Hey Kenny if you are not really interested in having it fixed for yourself I would sell it as is,  cleatting would run around $20. per cleat and the bridge would be around $300- $500 and then the resale value would be a loss to you. sell as is and I would say to start around $650-750 and let them negotiate. ship

Offline kenny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »
Hi Tony and Ship.
 Thanks so much for the feedback. It is much appreciated.
 I think I will just sell it as is then. As much as i would like to put some time into it and fix it, I should just let it go and concentrate on the others I have.
 So let the bidding begin :0)
 Thanks a gain.
 Kenny