Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rs8v fretboard  (Read 707 times)

Offline sandboxedmagician

• View Profile
Rs8v fretboard
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
Hello all, looking for some advice. I've an old Washburn rs8v, it's had a long hard life and the frets are basically worn flat at this stage. Trouble is, it's got a carbonite fretboard because it was the 80s and wood was out apparently.

Anyone ever attempted a refret on a plastic fretboard? One luthier I spoke to said if it's anything like a Parker Fly then he'd rather put a new neck on than change the frets.

Offline aircooled1

• Appreciate the moment...
    • View Profile
Re: Rs8v fretboard
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
Interesting topic...  The following link shows a method that effectively uses heat off of a soldering gun to loosen the glue and remove frets from a Parker guitar.  Oddly enough, Parker used frets that aren't a typical design and are just bonded to a slightly modified fretboard surface verses within typical cut grooves on a fretboard.  Stainless steel frets seem to be standard for composite fretboards in order to allow for long life with minimum wear to avoid the hassle of refretting.  So... I'm not sure if your frets are pressed into cut grooves or not, but if it's similar to a Parker, it looks like there is a method of removing them.  Good luck with your endeavor...

http://crimsonguitars.com/how-to-re-fretre-glue-the-frets-of-a-parker-guitar-when-they-fall-off/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:31:55 PM by aircooled1 »

Offline sandboxedmagician

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:15:21 AM »
Ah ha, thanks for the info. I didn't know Parkers were so non standard. The rs8v is slotted like a normal guitar, just the fretboard material is different. There'll be no give on the plastic and I guess no way of repairing any damage should the frets be stubborn coming out but as the guitar is at a stage where its unplayable now,  I'm in a position where I've nothing to lose. Fingers crossed.

Offline aircooled1

• Appreciate the moment...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
Composite fretboards are basically a blend of carbon plastics with a percentage of glass filler and epoxy.  I've engineered products in my work life out of different composites and there are a multitude of materials to choose from depending on applications.  Parker and Washburn are somewhat related through US Music Corporation.  I recall Washburn advertisements for a WM526 that stated the use of Parker's technology for the composite material.  Of course, that was after the 80s...  I sort of think that you are in a better situation with the fretboard cut grooves verses Parker's arrangement.  At least you can probably get by with readily available stainless steel fret material.  Material deformation from the original fret install would likely take away from press-fit retention and so a glue would be necessary in that case.  However, I'm not a luthier.  Just a mechanical gear head / tech geek... 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:25:53 AM by aircooled1 »