Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pretty Punk Guitars  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Punk77

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« on: July 30, 2003, 02:31:42 PM »
I don't know why i need to tell anyone, but Washbruns are freakin good for any style of playing.  For punk, it plays very well.  I wonder why no punk bands ever have washburns. I know that SUM 41 has one washburn in thier arsenal, but ohter than that and a couple other bands, all the punks play fenders or gibsons. Gibsons are good, but expensive, and fenders are cheap, and... who cares. PLAY WASHBURN ya kno? i know a lot of metal bands play washburn (thank god!)

[}:)]punk on or metal on or... whatever

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 03:14:56 PM »
The original punk bands played vintage beat up guitars. The older, and uglier the better. New punk bands seem to have broken away from that tradition, and now alot of them actually play pretty guitars. There are punks out there with Washburns, just like there are bluegrass, metal, pop, funk, jazz, blues, rock, etc players playing Washburn, you just keep your eyes open and you will notice them.........

Offline stratokatsu

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 04:45:58 PM »
I'm pretty new to Washburns and have been really impressed with their versitility, though my experience has only been with a couple of their acoustics and a couple electrics that have humbuckers.

I'd be inclined to try a Washburn version of something with single coils, if I could find one in the catalogue other than the Roger Waters model. Do they exist? I'm not finding them on the website.

Personally, I don't like Gibsons and my humbucker duties are covered very nicely with a PRS and my new Washburn Custom Shop WM4. Who needs to pay Gibson's prices when you can get a Heritage guitar, in my opinion a superior instrument to Gibson, for about 1/2 the price? The fact that Washburn makes some fine guitars for even half that again is just gravy.

And by the way, I'm 54 and don't play punk. My Washburns play country, Southern rock and blues just fine, thank you!

Washburn! - whodathunkit?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 05:08:00 PM by stratokatsu »
Lots of guitars and an understanding wife

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 08:37:03 PM »
If you want a Washburn with single coils track down a USA Mercury MG series or a USA Silverado. The Mercury were superstrats from 92-93, and then became very strat like in 94. The strat like ones have Seymour Duncan pickups, and a Wilkenson trem. I have 2 of the Strat like ones, only with humbuckers. I never actually play them, but they are extrememly well made, and I prefer them over any Strat I have ever owned.
As for the Silverado, they are more strat like than the Mercury, and so I have never tried them. They use a different neck profile as well. The difference between the 2, is that the Silverado was a tradional Strat, and the MG was a modernized Strat. You'll see them on the Bay from time to time........

Offline stratokatsu

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 09:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll look for a Mercury model.

When I clicked on Products in the website, I got the impression there were basically 3 guitars with single coils and that was about it. If you wait for the Adobe download to view the catalogue, there appear to be more, but I need to spend some more time to see if what I'm looking at are actually different models or just variations on the same thing.

I have 16 electric guitars sitting here in my music room and as ridiculous as it might sound, the nicest feeling neck of any of them is on a little BT2 I bought from Musician's Friend for $99. Not only is the fret finishing and edge tipping better than on my $1000 American Deluxe Strat, but it's at least the equal of my PRS CE-22. That's one hell of a statement and take my word for it when I tell you I'm someone not very prone to exageration. That $99 axe also has three VERY distinct tones from nothing more than the flip of a switch. How many dual humbucker guitars have you played where you couldn't hear a difference between the neck and both setting? Most of them I bet... Even my new Custom Shop WM4 doesn't have as distinctly different tones as the little el cheapo. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how satisfied I am with the higher end WM4 because I'm comparing it to a $99 entry level Washburn and not seeing it stand up to the test as well as I would like. I need to mess with the pickup height and angles a little to give it a fair chance though, so don't go rummaging through my garbage quite yet.

For those not familiar with it, the WM4 is the same body as the BT2, but a flame maple top on what we suppose is a mahogany slab. It's a set neck, unidentified Duncan humbuckers, Feiten tuning, locking tuners, roller bridge, fan shaped headstock with inlaid logo and custom shop ID. All in all, a great deal of potential, but it needs to stand up to that $99 wonder axe!!!

THAT $99 guitar was what got me looking at Washburns in the first place. Thus, my signature line...

-----> Washburn! - whodathunkit?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 10:07:28 PM by stratokatsu »
Lots of guitars and an understanding wife

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 07:01:36 AM »
Actually with humbuckers, the hotter the signal, the more vague the sound becomes. I once had a custom guitar made with 3 humbuckers that were run hot, and flicking the 5 way switch didnt change the tone at all.............It was a cool guitar, but tone wise, it was a bad experiment. I'm sure after awhile, you'll come to realize the
WM4 is miles above the BT2.........

Offline vigoda

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 08:49:14 AM »
I play a Washburn WI64 and since I play a wide range of music, I needed a guitar that could play a wide range of sounds. The WI64 that I have is the WI64PLAB that you can only get from MUSIC123.com, however, they do have a smokin' model in the WI series that is all black. The VCC system on the thing allows me to go from pounding out classic punk tunes such as Ring of Fire by Social Distortion (I know, Johnny Cash originally did it) to a full blown whacked out bluegrass version of Gin and Juice redone by the bluegrass band, The Gourds. I love the fact that I can cover a wide range of tones and sounds from just ONE Washburn guitar. AND if you go the extra mile and pick up a Snarling Dogs Varitone pedal (I highly recommend one) then you can really push the envelope on new sounds you can get out of the WI64.

Offline Punk77

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 02:41:10 PM »
i didn't say they ONLY played punk good, i said they were good for punk, but before that i said that they are good for all types of music

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 07:02:26 PM »
Stratokatsu,

I hear ya on the tone variations.  I have a fender jazz, a p-bass, and have gone through the music man sterling, the Jerry Jones Long horn, even the Rickenbacker 4001 and they are all quality instruments, but they have their tones and don't vary far from their signature sounds.  My washburn xb-400 can copy all the tones and still give me more.  It's the total expression instrument.  I've oven for some big named artist and I'm telling you my washburn cut through the mix better than these other players.  It's not me, it's the washburn.  Even when I've done punk and picked notes I have more tone variation between the neck and brigde, than most cats do with active electronics!  Finally someone articulated the Washburn edge!  It's not the only guitar, but it's the one I choose.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 07:43:36 PM »
Fourstring,
If you want to expand your bass voicings even higher, get a Roland VBass system, and mount it on your Force bass. I just got the Roland VGuitar system, mounted the hex pickup, and was blown away by it. It ads dimensions to recording sessions that no other guitar system on this planet can do. Its also great for live too, since if you want synth tones you dont have to get a board player......And of course, it doesnt have the problems associated with MIDI guitar, since it isnt MIDI based........

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
Pretty Punk Guitars
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 12:17:08 PM »
I thought about that.  I have the ADA MB-1 midi mapped through a yamaha EMP 100.  I have great leslie that shakes concrete off of clubs.  It also has some synth type effects and like your roland synth, it's accessable from a footswitch.  I've actually scaled down as of late to just an amp and tuner.  I may ad a pandora's box for the occassional fuzz.  Since most studio's and clubs take me direct, the effects were only for stage.  It was a big waste to go through to trouble to program sounds only to have a flat signal go out to the house.  Not enough guys mic bass cabs anymore and when they do, I'm playing in a sittuation where my signal is flat anyway.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!