Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1993 D-17CES/BR  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Pol16

• View Profile
1993 D-17CES/BR
« on: October 12, 2016, 08:26:49 PM »
Hi All,

I have been searching everywhere for a straight answer. I am wondering what your thoughts are on a 1993 D-17CES/BR. I know it is flamed sycamore but that is where it ends ( I believe solid top, not sure about the back and sides). I can purchase it for around $450. Problem is i would be buying it without playing it(I know always play it first). I would have to get a friend to pick it up for me. It's in excellent shape. Any thoughts or info on the guitar would be great. Honestly I just fell in love look. Thanks!

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: 1993 D-17CES/BR
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:34:20 AM »
There's nothing wrong with buying a guitar for looks. I do it on a regular basis.

Thing is, I deal largely in electric guitars, particularly solidbodies. And I don't pay anything near book value. Once I open the box, if it turns out to be a junker, I can at least make my cash back by selling the parts. Not so easy with an acoustic, so I'm a lot more cautious. For instance, you often can't tell from photos if the bridge is lifting, or there's a growing separation between heel & body, much less whether anything is loose internally.

I find reference to the D-17 either having a spruce top & the rest mahogany veneer (1993-1994), or being entirely flamed maple (probably veneer) (1992-1997). Sycamore is a new one to me.

In near perfect condition -- no surface damage, no major fretwear, preamp/pickup working well, trussrod properly adjusted & string height correct at nut & saddle -- a D-17 might be worth ~$425, so you're not far off. If there's imperfections, value quickly slips down to the $250-$300 range. And if it needs adjustment, there's $50+ you need to spend to ensure it is properly playable.

M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:28:42 AM »
Hi All,

I have been searching everywhere for a straight answer. I am wondering what your thoughts are on a 1993 D-17CES/BR. I know it is flamed sycamore but that is where it ends ( I believe solid top, not sure about the back and sides).

Any thoughts or info on the guitar would be great. Honestly I just fell in love look. Thanks!

Well, from your information I can tell you that it is probably all-laminate construction, not a solid wood soundboard. Washburn is fairly consistent with model designations and if your guitar had a solid-wood soundboard the model designation would be D17SCES...the "S" designation for a solid wood soundboard almost universally comes right after the model number, as I have shown above. Like Tony, I've never seen sycamore used as a tonewood and would love to find out more about this guitar.

I know...confusing...but here's how the designation works out for your model:

D17=model number

CE="cutaway" body style with electronic pickup

S=probably the "sycamore" used on the sides and backs.

Not quite sure what the ".../BR" would designate...sometimes those types of suffixes are used to designate a "burst" finish, or some other form of embellishment.

BTW...if you can post the serial number we can probably identify when the guitar was made.

I would really like to see some photos, particularly of the sycamore parts...I've been a woodworker all my adult life (and well down into my teens) and I have never seen sycamore. If you'd post some photos, I'd really appreciate it (there's a tutorial on how to post photos in the General Discussion board, the lowest "sticky", authored by t.y.).

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
it is a solid top and laminate b/s $450.00 is above the market value in excellent shape they shouldn't be more then $325.00 without case if it is flamed maple then it could very well be solid top and back and sides could be solid also ( $350 - $425 ). But one should be careful to not buy with your emotions or for looks
Retired Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
I'm surprised that Washburn deviated from their own practice regarding their model designation, Ship...not that I doubt you, you're one of our historical experts on here  :D

What do you think the "BR" stands for?

Cheers! Thanks for chiming in and correcting me!

Dugly 8)
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Pol16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I will try to get a couple pics up soon so you can take a look.

Offline Pol16

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 08:04:15 PM »
Here are a few pics....hope they work.

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »
WOW...what a beauty. If that is sycamore it is definitely more heavily banded and figured than maple. That soundboard is particularly impressive.

I have never seen that rosette on any other Washburn, either.

All in all, a very impressive find. That's a lot to pay if you haven't played it, so buyer beware...but having spent big bucks for attractive lutherie I do understand the desire for visual beauty.

Cheers!!

Dugly 8)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 01:05:24 AM »
Not quite sure what the ".../BR" would designate
By placement, it's a suffix, therefore a color. ;)

Per BlueBook Online:
D17 CE Flamed Maple
- similar to D17 S CE, except has an all flamed maple body, available in Brown or Wine Red finish
As the D17SCE was available only in Black or Natural finishes, this is therefore a D17CE, & thus certainly NOT a solid top -- QED.

Not that I am talking it down!! I mean, it's a beautiful axe... & it's, after all, a proper Washburn :)... but IME an electrified acoustic, when plugged in, behaves better with a lam top than a solid-wood top. 8)

So long as the buyer is buying it to PLAY, it's not a bad deal. Heck, I've seen guys pay that much for a D-10S. :o Collectibility? Well... keep it in shape & you won't lose, anyway.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Pol16

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
Thanks for your input everyone. It is greatly appreciated!

Offline 92D-17CES/WR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:21:34 AM »
It is my personal opinion that you should jump at the chance for it, I have a wine red from 92 with a flame maple top and to this day I haven't played seen or heard a guitar that sounds anything like it, they have a lower action than most acoustic which makes them easier to play for extended periods and most of that model had an original price of $850. $450 is easily worth it in my opinion. I can also tell you that the first two numbers in the serial number will be the year it was made.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:25:48 AM by 92D-17CES/WR »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum gang.

Some additional skinny for you.

D17 CE Flamed Maple
- similar to D17 S CE, except has an all flamed maple body, available in Brown or Wine Red finish,
mfg. 1992-97.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $450 - 525 $250 - 300

So, most likely a all laminate wood model.  Best case scenario, a solid top with lam back and sides, but more likely all lam.  $425 is pretty rich for a all lam guitar.  $300-325 is closer to market value.

Finally, any guitar, assuming proper neck geometry, can be set up with low action.  The D17 is not inherently easier to play or have lower action than any other properly set up guitar.