Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB-35 identification  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Tomitomthompson

• View Profile
HB-35 identification
« on: November 06, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm having trouble finding out what year and where this guitar has been made.
It's a mission since its seems Washburn's serial numbers don't make any sense.

The electronics aren't original. It's got Gibson pickups/electronics now. I bought it this way.

Serial number is 8440.

Thanks for your help !

PS : I'm also having trouble posting a picture here !  ::) I'm working on it....
       But basically, the question is : where and when an HB-35 which its serial number is 8440 would have been made ?

Thanks again !!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:56:21 AM by Tomitomthompson »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: HB-35 identification
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
This site doesn't "host" photos. You need to place 'em somewhere else on the Internet then pull it here with an IMG tag.

After a grueling five minutes :o of digging, I can only hazard guesses basedon previous discussions. Firstly, if it has a tapered headstock ("snakehead") it's not very recent. If it has through-body string rather than a stoptail bar, then it's REALLY old.

The Washburn site glibly says stupid stuff like "the first two numbers of the serial number are the year of manufacture" -- or worse, something completely insane like that sometimes there's "just a single number to identify the year. If your guitar begins with 240000, it most likely is a 1982 or 1992 model."

Lore has it that the shorter serial numbers are older Washburns, & that five-digit numbers indicate USA & four-digit numbers indicate MIJ. Per another discussion -- about a black HB35 with s/n 8452 ??? -- member Rhythm_guy says
... the HB's moved from Japan to Korea.  If memory serves it was during 1991, so yours was made in Japan.  I have never seen a black one, but the 4-digit serial number, block inlays and pickup selector location are all correct for a Japanese model.  I'm sure it has the pointy headstock as well.
http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,6424.0.html

The original poster to that thread is wildly incorrect in assuming that 84xx means a guitar was made in 1984. If THAT were true, then there were ONLY 100 Washburns made that year... which is kinda doubtful, right? ;) Even if the first digit is used for year, that's still only 1,000 guitars that can be made with unique numbers.

The HB35 is one of the longest-lasting Washburn instrument models, first made 1983-1984, then brough back in 1989 where it's remained. There have been many changes in build over the years, some quite subtle, & the most obvious probably being fretboard inlays & headstock shape. Some day, maybe someone will actually put a coupole hours' effort into mapping these changes, but meantime digging through photos on eBay & Reverb.com is a quick education. For instance, notice how the neck is joined, the first example being confidently dated in the 1990s.

An early-'90s adsheet --

M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Tomitomthompson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Tony  :o

Here are the pics !

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Very helpful... but for one part.
Yours having 8xxx most likely indicates a 1988 model.
If that were true, then Yamaki could ONLY have built 1,000 Wahburn guitars in 1988, numbered 8000-8999 (inclusive). That seems veryunlikely on the face of it.

Among other things, this would make the Yamaki guitars comparatively rare, & the Blue Book value (as a gauge of the used-guitar market) would probably reflect this... but it doesn't. In like manner, the Reverb.com Price Guide takes no notice of the different "eras" & notes that recent sale prices have ranged $300-$450 -- no indicator of rarity.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
ET Music, thank you for sharing your knowledge on Washburn hollowbody, you're the expert on it  if you know other Washburn information.  Please share.  Thanks again.
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
Though it's been a few years, Blue Book used to gladly welcome input, particularly photos, & established dealers passed along experience with prices & demand.

Though they have their gaps, they sometimes take pains to delineate different versions -- for example, the MG-200 Special, or the D-29/-30/-31. Then again, they confuse the X-40 with the X-40PRO.

They don't do much about the HB-35 because they don't believe many people are interested. That's where fans come in. And I can say from experience that I have become interested in a few off-brand guitar models or lines, asked some intelligent questions, written a handful of articles, & watched online interest climb.

Most people who love the HB-35 already own one, & one only. Sure, maybe they'll upgrade to an older classier version -- like from an MIC to an MIK -- but that's about the limit of their interest. And while a credible shop would gladly take one in, the model just isn't valuable enough or "sexy" enough to make it some sort of specialty.

Like, well, this has been hanging around almost half a year, now asking a mere $550.

https://reverb.com/item/2414871-1984-washburn-hb-35-natural-finish-made-in-japan

Seller says it's 1984 --

Even with the MIJ cachet AND the case, there's no interest worth mentioning.

So, yeah, people need charts & graphs, they need to be able to tell how to determine whether a particular HB-35 is farily priced. Keep up the good work. ;D

Something interesting to me. Here's a 2012 labeled "Made in China" & the factory code is DC.

Yet, one from 2014 has a G code.

Maybe there's some compare/contrast that can be done between factories' product.

In what years was the five-piece neck used?

And what the heck is up with the Roving Knobs???