Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for info on this Washburn  (Read 839 times)

Offline djack49

• View Profile
Looking for info on this Washburn
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »
Hi,
New to the forum. Just bought a used Washburn Idol and know nothing about it except the top seems to be koa. The serial number starts with G1407. I'll attach a photo as soon as I figure out how, haha!
Thanks for any light you can shed!
DJ

This isn't my guitar but it's this model:

https://reverb.com/item/1568688-washburn-idol-classic-electric-guitar-koa
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:34:45 PM by djack49 »

Offline mroll

• View Profile
Re: Looking for info on this Washburn
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:16:48 PM »
What do you want to know about it?  There's not a whole lot available, especially since they've been discontinued.  It's the same as the spalted maple Idols (which I have two of) only with a Koa top.  Washburn did a run of these two years ago and you can get the Koa or spalted maple ones from Butler Music on Ebay.  There's a bit of information here: http://www.washburn.com/news/40-Washburn-Guitars-Revisits-the-Idol.html

I love mine.  Both of mine were set up nearly perfect out of the box and I really like the neck.  I replaced the pickups and bridge on both, but that was more of a personal choice rather than necessity.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:22:52 PM by mroll »

Offline djack49

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »
Thanks! I was mainly wondering what year these were made. Was thinking the 14 in serial number might be year but wasn't sure. But guess it was! Any idea if $299 was the original price in 2014? Thank you!

Offline mroll

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
Yes, the "14" means 2014.  Both of mine were made in that year.  I believe the next two numbers are the month.  I bought my first one over a year ago when they were still available from the larger online dealers like Sweetwater and I believe the spalted maple ones were $400 and the Koa ones were $500.  I got both of mine (one spalted and one spalted with a tobacco burst) for $249 each.  They are amazing guitars for that price!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:13:00 PM by mroll »

Offline djack49

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
I'm really happy with mine! Found it at Guitar Center and was taken by the koa top; just beautiful. And it plays great, though some of the screws for the pickups don't seem to match so guessing the previous owner did some work on it. Maybe I can find some matching ones somewhere. A friend of mine really likes it so I ordered one through Butler Music, as you mentioned earlier, for $300 and will surprise him with it at Christmas. Butler is new to me but so far I'm impressed. Should get the guitar tomorrow so that will be the big test, haha! Thanks again for your input! I also have a Washburn HB-35 that I love!