Username: Password:

Author Topic: Leon Russell  (Read 444 times)

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
Leon Russell
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:09:34 PM »
 Yesterday, one of my favorite musicians died, Leon Russell...a great songwriter and musician. I remember an album of his, I bought back around 1970....Leon Russell And The Shelter People...I still get chills when I listen to it. And yes his collaboration with Joe Cocker on the Mad Dogs & Englishmen album was just magic....Rest in Peace, brother,  Rest in Peace.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Leon Russell
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:56:27 AM »
Leon was one of my favorites...in fact, I saw him in concert twice and each time he gave me unforgettable memories. The first time  was in 1973, part of a full day of performances by 4 different bands (including Joe Walsh) in a football stadium in Wichita, KS. My most vivid memory of Leon is that during one song he stopped playing the piano and just jumped up on top of that grand piano's  soundboard and danced for a while. I can still hear the sound of those steel taps he had on his cowboy boots!

The second was  in 1981 in Corpus Christi...an old movie theater than had been converted into a concert venue. When it came time for the band to take a break, Leon didn't...he just walked over to the piano and did absolutely the most soulful version of "Yesterday" that I have ever heard. Leon had "the blues" and shared that feeling with every one of us during that solo performance. To call those moments "unforgetable" truly does not do justice to the experience. It is perhaps my most vivid musical memory.

I miss Leon...he was truly an immensely gifted musician and to this day no matter how much I try I cannot match the memory of that CC experience when I perform "Yesterday"...nobody will ever be able to do that.

Cheers to Leon, in life and beyond!

Dugly 8)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC