Username: Password:

Author Topic: I've fallen in love with my MG44  (Read 848 times)

Offline dovstar

• View Profile
I've fallen in love with my MG44
« on: December 06, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
I bought the MG44 brand new over 20 yrs ago. I can't be exact on the year, serial number is 3100388 if anyone has any idea about its origin.
When I bought it, the first thing that stood out was the weight. It felt like a guitar. After a couple of years of using it, still trying to improve my playing i bought a 2ng guitar in an ibanez. After that, I hardly played the Washburn. My ibanez became my main guitar.
Roll forward to a few months ago, i decided to give the washburn a play and see if it still worked. I was contemplating selling it at that point. I picked it up and put the strap on and it felt amazing. The thick neck, heavy body and posture, it felt so right. The sound was horrendous. I could only compare it to a weak cup of tea. It made my mind up to sell it.
I took the Washburn off and put the ibanez back on. I began to think if only I could get the washburn to have the power of the ibanez.
I bought a set of Seymour Duncan distortion mayhem s-6 pickups and fitted them. The new pickups made a huge difference. The sound had the power and sustain of the ibanez but with more bottom end. It was like having a new guitar. I'm using the vintage rectifier preamp on the GT-10  which is simply awesome. The power and sustain of the sound is unbelieveable it is so tight and smooth. The maple neck matches the sound, its thick, slick and smooth. I have fallen in love with my MG44. I've picked the ibanez up to give it a play, but after about 10mins I'm back playing the Washburn.
My ibanez has been through the wars and the paint has started to crack and fall off. The washburn hasn't a mark on it. The Floyd rose is showing a bit of shiney metal from wear and tare, but apart from that you wouldn't know if had it for over 20years
So that's my story of my Washburn. The store I bought it from in Glasgow is shutdown and no way of finding the exact year I bought it. If anyone has an idea of the serial 3100388, please let me know.
Cheers
Washburn MG44L/H
Ibanez RS470L-H
Marshall valvestate 100R
BOSS GT-10
JP-95 petrucci signiture wah

Offline dovstar

• View Profile
Re: I've fallen in love with my MG44
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
Just had a bit of research on the forum about the seerial number, 3100388. 310 is 0ctober 1993 and 0388 is the build number, am I correct in this?
Washburn MG44L/H
Ibanez RS470L-H
Marshall valvestate 100R
BOSS GT-10

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
 You've got the serial number interpretation correct mate. Changing the pickups are always going to be a banker with those old Korean Washies - superbly made but pony electrics!

Dan
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline dovstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »
You've got the serial number interpretation correct mate. Changing the pickups are always going to be a banker with those old Korean Washies - superbly made but pony electrics!

Dan

Thanks for that Dan, I didn't know where and when it was made.
When I took the scratch plate off to change the pickups, the first thing I noticed was the shambolic electrical work. From day one it crackled badly, probably played a big part in not playing it. The electrical work was done as if a 3yr old done it with the oldest of wire available. The wiring was not colour coded but done with coloured leccy tape. The soldering looks done by a novice.
I stripped all the wiring and solder from the connections and pots, used new guitar wire and soldered them myself. Not a crackle from any of the pots now. It really is like having a new guitar. I'm so glad I gave it a make over rathr than sell it. It really doesn't have a mark on it. It is a stunning looking guitar, check it out on the "show your Washburn" forum, I've posted it in there.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:51:39 PM by dovstar »
Washburn MG44L/H
Ibanez RS470L-H
Marshall valvestate 100R
BOSS GT-10