Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI14 camo - just picked up for my son, any info?  (Read 974 times)

Offline development_cycle

• View Profile
WI14 camo - just picked up for my son, any info?
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »
Hi All, I'm not a guitarist myself but my 16 year old son is and he is playing a very cheap no-name strat style guitar after something like 7 years. I feel pretty bad that we've not been able to replace it with something better before now but what with his age and wanting an amp, acoustic guitar, bass and drums (!!!), most stuff has had to be either el cheapo or second hand on a budget.

My brother played guitar back in the 90's and I remember from hanging around with the band and seeing his guitar mags etc that Washburn had a good name so when I saw this for sale locally (Scotland) for a decent price I snapped it up.

Since getting it home I can see it needs work (missing the output jack and plate), but the colour scheme intrigued me. It's a sort of dusty camo with (and no I didn't notice this before I bought it) nude silhouette ladies on it.

No matter how much I have tried I have not been able to find out much at all about this model WI14, or this camo colour scheme.

It would be nice to learn a bit about it, and be able to get it working again, and make a decision about whether this is in fact a guitar worthy of someone like him after playing as long as he has, or if in fact I should sell it once working and put the funds towards something better if it's not that much better than what he has already.

Offline aircooled1

• Appreciate the moment...
    • View Profile
Re: WI14 camo - just picked up for my son, any info?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »
The following is a spec listing that I cut and pasted from the Musicians Friend website.  There are 44 reviews about the WI14 model on that site.  Various video reviews are out there on the web too.  It ranks pretty high as a good beginner guitar.  Basswood bodies are often used on mid to lower end guitars, but they have a fat, but well-balanced tonality with good midrange.  Washburn stock pickups are not the greatest in my opinion.  The price of better pickups might be close to 1/2 the value of the guitar.  I don't believe that the WI14 design would have gone through any changes other than finish. 

Basswood body
String-thru-body
Maple bolt-on neck
Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays
22 frets
14" fingerboard radius
24-3/4" scale
42m nut width
Washburn stock humbuckers
Hardtail bridge
3-way toggle switch
Separate volume and tone pots

https://reverb.com/item/428056-washburn-wi14-lady-camo-sexy-girls-graphic-guitar-mint

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/washburn-wi14-electric-guitar

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:40:43 PM by aircooled1 »

Offline development_cycle

• View Profile
Re: WI14 camo - just picked up for my son, any info?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:08 AM »
Many thanks aircooled1, I picked up on the more general stuff in your reply (not being a guitarist myself).

It might be nice to try and find some more info on the somewhat unusual finish in this too. Does anyone know when the camouflage with nude silhouette design was available, and what the significance of it is? It's certainly unusual that's for sure.