Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tell me something about a Washburn F42S please  (Read 734 times)

Offline Ralph124C41

• View Profile
Tell me something about a Washburn F42S please
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Hi. I'd appreciate any info on a Washburn F42S. A local player has one for sale. He says it has a solid spruce top and laminated rosewood back and sides with a 1.65 inch or so nut width. He says it has gold-plated Grover tuners. I know he takes meticulous care of his guitars.

No mention of the construction of the nut and saddle, though. I hope it has bone nut and saddle.

He says it is an 000 size so I imagine the "F" in the model designation stands for Folk guitar. I imagine the F42S is the smaller version of the D42S but has the same general specs.

I've searched online and haven't found very much at all about the F42S and even what I've found has had some conflicting reports, such as the guitar has solid back and sides (which I doubt) and that the laminated back and sides are made of mahogany, not rosewood (not too certain about this.)

So any help will be appreciated. I'm really at heart a dreadnought-type of guy but I do know rosewood back and sides, even laminated, will help generally with the bass response.

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me something about a Washburn F42S please
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:36:59 AM »
Yes, the F42S is a folk guitar and it does have a solid wood soundboard and laminate sides and back. If it were an all solid-wood guitar the model number would read "F42SW".

As for having bone nut and saddle, I say "probably not". At the time Washburn produced this model almost all of their guitars had plastic nuts and saddles...however, a bone saddle is usually the first upgrade a player will make, so here is how to check: use a pair of hemostats or needle-nose pliers to grasp a pin...like is used for sewing...and hold it in a flame until it turns red, then quickly press the red-hot point of that pin into the saddle. If it is bone there will be little in the way of marks made by the hot pin, but if the saddle is plastic the hot tip of the pin will melt right into that plastic saddle.

The nut is a less common upgrade, but many of us do replace both nut and saddle at the same time. The saddle can be a DIY operation if you are cautious, but the nut requires specially sized files for each of the string slots and those are expensive. It's best to leave that job to a good shop tech, or better yet to a competent luthier.

If you discover that your saddle and/or nut are indeed plastic you can have bone pieces made by Bob Colosi...his website is www.guitarsaddles.com. His website explains how to take the required measurements, which must be quite precise, or better yet you can send your existing saddle and nut to Bob and he'll do most of the work...minor sanding would be all that is needed and as I said that can be a DIY process if you're "handy".

I hope this has been helpful.

BTW...the only F42SW I've ever seen had sides and back pieces of ash...very hard, heavy wood with beautiful graining  ;D

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:42:45 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:04:44 PM »
Sorry Dugly but it actually was made with a solid back ( I know its one of those that was marked with a S only ) I am going on memory here but I am 90% sure about it being solid rosewood back/sides.
Retired Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline Ralph124C41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
Thanks, guys ... but two very different opinions on whether it has solid back and sides. I own three Alvarez guitars, all with solid spruce tops and laminated back and sides (rosewood, maple, and mahogany) . Each has a bone nut and saddle.

As for the bone nut and saddle, I'm not handy at all. At all. Luckily I know a local luthier who makes his own line of acoustics and can do repairs and installation for an astonishingly low price. For example I asked him to do a setup and he said it would be $25 if I supplied the strings. I brought him the strings and he installed them and took a look at the guitar, the action, intonation and asked if I was happy with it. I said yes and he said "Well I can't find anything that needs adjusting." So he didn't charge me $25. He charged me $5 just for changing the strings. I gave him a $5 tip.