Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help me learn about my guitar please.  (Read 173 times)

Offline 92D-17CES/WR

• View Profile
Help me learn about my guitar please.
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:32:19 AM »
Hey everyone, I have a  1992 Washburn that I would like to learn more about, model code D-17CES/WR, my father bought the guitar in his 20s and passed it on to me, as far as I know it has a flame maple top, mahogany neck and Brazilian rosewood fret board, mother of pearl inlays and tuning knobs and gold plated tuning pegs, I know the electronics are equis II but not the model of pickup used and the bridge blank is a seven piece construction and I would appreciate tips on where to find the right blanks. Any extra knowledge on this wonderful, absolutely beautiful guitar would be appreciated, I can post photos if needed.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Help me learn about my guitar please.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:54:59 PM »
Based on the model designation D17CES (could it be more likely D17SCE?) is probably a dreadnought design. The D-17 would have been a fairly nice guitar, but still not at the top of the line as far as the D-series guitars go. If the model designation is correct, it is an all-laminate guitar with a cutaway body design and onboard electronics.

A lot of people scoff at an all-lam guitar, but IMHO they are GREAT for stage work where you need ampification. "Juiced" models, as we tend to call the CE designed acoustics, have an undersaddle piezo pickup and if you're going to play plugged into an amp or PA system, the sound the pickup senses is all that is needed. On the other hand, all-laminate models do not go through the "ageing", or "opening up" process by whick a solid wood sound board would produce better sound as it ages and the cells become devoid of cytoplasm.

If you're looking for a beater to learn to play and want to enjoy playing through an amp, you're all set! If, however, you're interested in holding onto the guitar for a long time to enjoy the tonal improvements that are part of the ageing process, you're going to be disappointed.

My advice is to play it and enjoy it. It will make an absolutely wonderful campfire guitar and a competent learner instrument. If you find that you really enjoy playing the guitar, when you develop GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) you'll find plenty of offerings on the market with solid wood soundboards for around $100-$150...it's a pretty crowded market (but, of course, we believe Washburns are head and shoulders above the rest!!!  ;)

The D-17 is a rather uncommon guitar around here....how about posting some photos? If you'd like to learn how, on the General Discussion board is a thread at the bottom of the "Stickies"/Pinned section at top by our member t.y. It should be enough to get you started.

Hope you enjoy the Washburn and stick around on the forum.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL 8) !!
Retired twice, still attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SWK, WMJ11S, WMJ21S (2) and WGO26SCE
Other fine acoustics: Breedlove custom 000 Revival, Darren Hippner #506 Hauser, Takamini 2005 LTD, Epi Masterbilt AJ500

Offline 92D-17CES/WR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:10:22 AM »
I can tell you for certain that it is definitely a CES not a CE, I assure you that the top is flame maple according to two luthiers and independent research on the model by both my father and my self, though beyond the material from which the top and neck are made the research turned up nothing. This guitar happens to have a bad habit of bowing with the slightest change in moisture level so definitely won't ever be used around the campfire and i doubt very seriously that even washburn would put a Brazilian rosewood fretboard on a laminate guitar. Here are pictures showing any and all information that SHOULD be necessary to identify the guitar.

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_41_02_Pro_zpshsnsh0zi.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_40_20_Pro_zps3s6megsz.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_40_53_Pro_zpsi5rpox58.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_40_46_Pro_zpso7hjwxya.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_39_57_Pro_zpsbxuqf7da.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_37_53_Pro_zpst6ozs6gw.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_38_43_Pro_zpst6th4itf.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_26_05_Pro_zpsphc1kudr.jpg.html
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Trebor_McFarland/media/WP_20170112_01_25_51_Pro_zpsiyd6c0xe.jpg.html

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »
Here is what I have found solid top instrument ( and actually maybe all solid flame maple ) it is like the D-17CE but has flame maple body one in excellent shape would be around $450.00 in good shape around $325.00 and were made from 92 - 97.
As for the saddle well you need to find someone who can copy of the ones you have as they no longer make the chicklet style. I can see why Dugly posted what he said normally he would be right about the guitar but it is one of Washburns designations that dont follow the norm for determining solid wood instruments from them.
Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline 92D-17CES/WR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »
Thank you, any chance I can get the model of pickup used in this guitar, the pickup has not worked for some time even though the rest of the circuit is fine, that and it would be nice to have a spare if it happens to be a loose connection. In regards to the chicklet style bridge, it is good to have confirmation that they are no longer in production but also unfortunate as it means having the blanks made from scratch either by a luthier or myself, I actually made the nut that is on it right now out of brass, it is an exact copy of the original in every may except for material of course.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »
Apologies, but I've gotta go a little MythBusters. 8) "When you hear hoofbeats, expect horses, not zebras."

Looks like you've already made up your mind that you know everything about your guitar, so I'm kinda wondering a little what it is you expect from us.

Yes, it's true enough that older modern Washburns (~1978-1995) exhibit inconsistencies in model designation... rarely.

The "-S-" could mean just about anything, like "Special Edition." I own a D46CESP, which differs from the D46SCE by having a laminate top in spalt maple.

That said, I assume you guys have actually looked into the Archives, right...? ??? Therefore, the following is for those incapable of the work.

In the 1991 pricelist, the D-17 has not yet appeared. However, the DREAD. ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC section notes that the D-29-CE has solid spruce top.

In 1992, the D-17-CE arrives, with solid spruce top, a feature shared by D-61-CE & D-68-CE -- not an "-S-" in the lot. (FWIW, MSRP $699.90.)

1993 finds both the renamed D-17-SCE (solid spruce top, mahogany back/sides, $789.90) & new D-17-CE ($829.90, all flamed sycamore, the word "solid" is NOT used).

That year's catalog of acousticals says
Solid spruce top on the D17SCE B and D17SCE N.
Bookmatched flamed sycamore top, back and sides on D17CE BR and D17CE WR.
This model was featured on the cover.

The 1994 list says the guitar has "bookmatched flamed sycamore top, back, and sides."

In 1995, the sprucetop disappears & the CE becomes "flamed maple top, back and sides" for $749.90.

The price is jacked up to $899.90 :o for 1996, a typical stupid marketing trick for Washburn -- in fact, it jumps another $100 for 1997.

Likely citing a sales slump ::) Washburn kills the model.

Again: note that it goes from flame sycamore (1994) to flame maple (1995). If the serial number is being interpreted correctly, the maple version wasn't available in 1992 -- therefore, a special run.

Now, at no point do pricelists or catalogues EVER mention "Brazilian rosewood," which would be really stupid because that's clearly a major selling point.

If you're dead certain it is Brazilian, then I feel justified guessing that the suffix "S" actually stands for "Special Edition" for some big retailer like MARS or Zzounds or Guitar Center. That also implies the "S" DOES NOT stand for "solid top" (whether or not ANY of the wood is actually non-laminate).

When you say stuff like i doubt very seriously that even washburn would put a Brazilian rosewood fretboard on a laminate guitar, you make clear that you don't know much about Washburn. :D

If your father is living, you could simply ASK where he bought it from. If a major chain, then it's probably a special-run version.

If the whole guitar is actually made up of flamed maple... umm, all you have to do is look inside the guitar. ;) The graining will be awfully goshdarn hard to miss, right? I'm kinda wondering why you've chosen to NOT show that in your photos.

If you still wish to claim the top is solid wood, then all you need to do is get a small mirror & photo the grain.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline 92D-17CES/WR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 05:01:37 AM »
Sadly he is not but long before his passing he told me where he bought the guitar, he purchased the guitar from guitar center back when we had one. The reason for my disbelief that Washburn would put a Brazilian rosewood fret board on a laminate guitar is that most typically laminate guitars are the cheapest that a company makes and short of ebony there is no finer wood for fret boards. I may not know alot about Washburn itself especially seeing as my 92 is the only pre take over piece I have been fortunate enough to see, but i have put hundreds of hours into researching construction methods and wood selection, i most certainly have a lot to learn still yet and I am more than willing to concede that, but I maintain that though I don't know everything about it, I know better than most the specifics of the guitar. I grew up listening to it, taken it to shop after shop and personally combed over hundreds of forum entries and web articles, these as I stated before unfortunately yielded next to nothing other than changes in wood selection depending upon the model and sub model of the guitar. The statement that the s in ces stands for special leads me to believe that it could have POTENTIALLY been custom ordered by the store or a previous owner if there was one. I can't say for certain what year he bought the guitar meaning that i don't know the  FULL history of that guitar but I can detail any and all; damage  repairs and modifications that have been made to the guitar since he purchased it. I will also point out that in the past major companies in all fields have been known to experiment on occasion though I don't think this is the case in this instance.

I apologize if I have come off as arrogant or snide as this was far from my intention, I only wish to further my knowledge of Washburn on whole and in the process my knowledge of any guitars I possess now or in the future.