Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tips for strobing my HB30, suggestions for strings, pickups, etc.  (Read 335 times)

Offline Ardie56

• View Profile
I bought a beautiful blonde wood HB30 about 10 years ago.

Had it strobed and set up by a guitar shop but it never seems to hold tune. which is of course, maddening.

I love the look and feel of this guitar, but I'm just wondering if any of you folks might have some care and feeding suggestions on...

- neck adjustment?
- bridge adjustment"
- better tuner pegs?
- enhancements or replacements for the electronics?

I'm a bass player who merely dabbles with the guitar, but I do love this baby and would like to use it far more than I do now.

Any advice would be most welcomed, and thank you.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Tips for strobing my HB30, suggestions for strings, pickups, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
Now, hold on there -- lots of leaping right into moderately complex stuff. You could steer him into doing a complete setup --on his own, with no prior experience -- & he'd likely still wind up with original problem AND whatever he might mess up as part of his learning experience. I'll illustrate.

Ardie56, it's clear to me that the "technician" who worked on your guitar is either a moron or a chiseler. (IMNSHO, of course.  8)) The first hint: plugging a guitar into a Peterson tuner is by itself about as useful as sacrificing a chicken over it. ::) "A guitar tuner doesn't actually 'tune' anything," right? A strobe is a super-accurate pulse-counter, that's all.

Now, as to your actual problem, the "never seems to hold tune" part, there's a few common causes of this. Because you have a half-decent set-neck guitar (with no mentioned structural issues) & a stoptail, we can skip most of those, leaving two.
  • tuner slippage, which can be further divided --
    • bad tuning machine(s): the gears are heavily worn, or the bearing surfaces are dirty/corroded, resulting in "backlash" where added tension during play pulls the tuner past its difficulty & thus flats the pitch -- with 18:1 Grovers this is VERY unlikely, & even less likely to happen on more than one string
    • bad stringing procedure: lots of string wrapped around the tuning machine posts -- judging from the "broken" guitars I fix, this is really really common. There's lots of mythology about how to put strings on a guitar, most akin to the chicken-sacrifice scenario (ibid). I prefer .010 or .011 sets, I bend a lot, & all I do is wrap the string around the post twice, push the end through the hole, tune up, & cut off the excess; 9 times of 10, I have no slippage whatever
  • improper nut: this is very common, & while it'd make sense to blame it on "factory-made instruments," I've encountered it on well-made & pro-fixed guitars. Basically, the slots are too narrow for the string set, &/or the edge of the "ramp" is too sharp &/or rough, so wound strings hang. Either way, normalplay eventually pulls the string over, flatting pitch. A common symptom is that most string breakage seems to happen behind the nut.[/u]
My advice -- take it to an actual guitar tech or luthier, not just someone with a $1,000 gimmick. I'm in the middle of nowhere; an hour's drive away, there's a luthier who charges $15 to do a proper restrung & this includes trussrod adjustment. For $40-$50, he does a full setup, which
includes neck adjustment, tighten hardware, oil fretboard, file fret ends, buff frets, adjust nut slots, adjust action, adjust intonation, chack and clean electronics, adjust pickups, clean and polish, tune, and stretch strings
& seems like the best way to get it done RIGHT.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline ET Music

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »
Tony, you have a long history of dissing nearly every one of my posts here at this forum.  You are arrogant, condescending and smug to say the least.  Guys like you think you know it all...but you don't.

I am done here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:43:32 PM by ET Music »

Offline john21wall

• View Profile
    • palisady plastikowe
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
Great! Last time I was in there I fell in love with a Blueburst Swamp Ash Legacy with an ebony fretboard. If I hadn't had my sights set on a Leo-era SC-2 I might have taken it home with me that day.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 11:38:01 PM »
Tony, you have a long history of dissing nearly every one of my posts here at this forum.  You are arrogant, condescending and smug to say the least.  Guys like you think you know it all...but you don't.

I am done here.
I'm not targeting you. It's just that people leap in & say downright goofy stuff. :o

In this instance -- before you bravely deleted it so that others couldn't properly understand -- you wanted the OP to to start doing all sorts of tweaking & adjusting... everything except check the nut slots & the tuners, which WILL solve 95%+ of "never seems to hold a tune" problems.

What bothers you more: when I'm right, or you're outright wrong? ::)
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/