Username: Password:

Author Topic: my WASHBURN D64  (Read 643 times)

Offline lgc252

• View Profile
my WASHBURN D64
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:42:06 AM »
Hi - can someone give me their opinion of the D64 ... be honest - brutal if you must ...

Also - I need to replace the saddle and nut on my D64 - where can I do this and what should I order ?

Thanks in advance for your advice

lgc252

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: my WASHBURN D64
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
A worthy competitor of the SG, as good as most Epiphone -- & by this I mean REAL Epis, with proper set necks, not the low-rent boltnecks.

Replacing a nut? I recommend you bring it to a shop & pay $40-$70 to have it done. But, if that's not how it's gonna play, then go to any shop (or online)& buy a pre-slotted Gibson-size nut. Plastic is fine ($5 or less) but everyone's into Tusq & Nubone & the like.

Look up a few YouTube videos on nut replacement.

All you got to do then is remove the old nut, without damaging the wood, & leave the slot totally clean & square. The nut has likely been glued in, so you'll need to soften that by holding a heat gun on it for ten or twenty minutes, until the nut practically falls off.

Check to see how the new nut fits, carefully sanding its thickness down until it settles right in.Then check it for proper string height, & again sand it bit-by-bit, keeping the bottom perfectly flat, until the strings are at the height that best suits your string choice & playing style.

The saddle? Do you mean the entire bridge assembly? This is pretty standard for midrange import guitars nowadays. Check Allparts for starters.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline lgc252

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
TONY - thanks very much.  I have tried to improve the sound of this thing (it was a second) ... and now would just like to get it back to 'factory' specs.

Do you know ordering dimensions for the nut and the saddle?

Many thanks,

Larry --

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »

Also - I need to replace the saddle and nut on my D64 - where can I do this and what should I order ?

Thanks in advance for your advice

lgc252

I have gotten my replacement saddles and fretboard nuts from Bob Colosi at:

www.guitarsaddles.com

You'll find that he ships ever so slightly large so that you can do the final trim for a tight fit at home. He has an incredible array of materials available (I personally use his West African Hard Ivory). If you absolutely MUST get a custom fit nut...send him the nut off your guitar and he might be able to match it perfectly in your choice of materials.

The D64 was pretty high up on the ladder as far as Washburn instruments go...any chance you might post some photos? There is a tutorial in the "stickies" on the General Discussion Board...look for a sticky by our forum member t.y.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Darren Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline lgc252

• View Profile
Re: my WASHBURN D64SW - N 'second'
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »
DG ...here's the label - ... made in China?  So, perhaps not the FEITEN TS.

Also, I measured that nut very carefully (1 15/16 X 5/16 X 1/4. Yet, all the on-line providers only have 1 11/16" - am I crazy?  The saddle measures 2 23/32 X 5/16 X 18".

I bought this guitar after having a Taylor 710CE.  God - I miss the sound of that guitar.  I liked the Washburn neck because I have small hands.  Now, however - I'm beginning to feel a little cramped on the low side of the fret board. ...Best wishes

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
Apologies -- I am indeed an idiot. ;) My mind had mistakenly wandered to the WI-64. (In my defense, I had an infected tooth, & am surprised my post even resembles English.)

Your guitar is arguably one of the "last best" Washburn dreadnoughts, & certainly one of the best made in China.

And so I'm going to stand by my original advice: see a luthier. It's a fine guitar, & certainly deserves proper bone nut/saddle, hand-shaped to bring out its best sound, rather than pocket-change precut plastic.

I mean, there's nothing WRONG with using precuts -- online, you can get Tusq for ~$12 each, & that material is pretty darned good -- but the only way to get them perfect is to have someone with experience do it. Make sure you get the thickness & width correct, & the correct length & width of the bridgepiece. And take your time loosening the old nut.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: my WASHBURN D64SW - N 'second'
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 01:56:15 PM »
DG ...here's the label -

Also, I measured that nut very carefully (1 15/16 X 5/16 X 1/4. Yet, all the on-line providers only have 1 11/16" - am I crazy?  The saddle measures 2 23/32 X 5/16 X 18".

Bob can make you any size nut or saddle you want, he is a custom shop operator...also sells bridge pins and lots of other products made of a variety of materials.

BTW...no image of the label appears.

...and I suspect you don't mean that the saddle measures 18".

Photos might help. Your link only includes the IMG prefix/suffix, but nothing between them to link it to a photo on any web based photo hosting site.

Seriously...give Bob a call and tell him what you're trying to accomplish. He is the person who answers the phone...at least every time I have called he was. I suspect he can make anything you need.

Cheers! Here's hoping we can help you with your project.

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Darren Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC