Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chicago Custom Shop -- HELP ME  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Chicago Custom Shop -- HELP ME
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »
I'm digging into some history research, but can locate pretty much NOTHING about Washburn's Chicago luthiery work, except that it's dead. :(

Therefore, I would greatly appreciate ANY info on the skunkworks, like
  • the street address
  • launch date
  • tales of notable visitors
  • email of someone who wouldn't mind a few stupid questions ;)
  • webpage where it's mentioned
Pray for me... ???
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago Custom Shop -- HELP ME
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:02:10 PM »
Tony, regarding your request for an email address for someone who could answer a few questions, your best bet for this kind of information would have been Ship of Fools...but if you read his recent farewell post you'll realize he has suffered a TIA and his memory may not be as accurate as it has been in the past.

Next to Ship, I'd say Evenkeel might be your best bet...you can probably find his email address on his forum profile...or PM him. He is still active, but not as much as he was in the past.

Other than that, a couple of long-departed members come to mind...but I am not too sure they would welcome any inquiries. One of them experienced some difficulty making a moderator happy, but the other just seemed to fade away. What a shame...he was VERY knowledgable! We seem to lose a lot of valuable members to "attrition", so to speak.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help  :(

Cheers to you for embarking on this endeavor, and good luck! I'll keep you in my prayers... ;D

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Chicago Custom Shop -- HELP ME
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
I'm still helping to clear up Wikipedia articles relevant to Washburn.

Someone asked me whether Washburn still has "made in USA" models. Clearly, there ARE -- presentlythe seven USA Custom Series electrics.

But seeing as the Mundelein facility was shuttered 2012, I am at a loss as to WHERE these guitars are being built. Is there a luthiery at Buffalo Grove?
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/