Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help me identify my Washburn guitar? Please?  (Read 479 times)

Offline ErichArndt

• View Profile
Help me identify my Washburn guitar? Please?
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »
Many, many years ago I bought a guitar on eBay. It was listed as a Washburn N2, it was black, and the pictures showed the headstock featuring text that read "N2", and "Washburn Nuno Bettencourt Model", and also along with a Nuno signature printed near the upper horn. So I bought it without further question and I played it regularly for several years before ultimately moving onto something else. Then the N2 sat in a corner collecting dust until now... because I'm considering selling it.

So someone asked about buying it from me and asked for some pictures. He already has an N2 and is looking for a parts-guitar. But upon seeing my photos he decline to purchase it because it was very different from his. I understood that there were various versions and that it was revised over the years, so I just assumed we had different revisions of the same guitar. So in order to better provide information to the next potential buyer I decided, for the first time, really, to actually go online and look at these guitars. And that's when I noticed a problem.

The first thing I saw is that the N2, along with the rest of the N-line, is distinguished by the distinctive placement of the pickup selector, and the lack of a tone knob. The problem is... my guitar has a tone knob, just behind the volume knob like on any other guitar, and the pickup selector is located just below the two knobs, again like most other guitars. And the switch isn't the small circular style switch like I see on all the other N2s. It's a switch that slides along a long slice through the wood, again typical of many other guitars. Furthermore, I have not found a single other case of one of these guitars having the Nuno signature above the fretboard.

It has a bolt-on neck and the serial number on the plate is 0120516. It has Washburn tuners and a little thingy on the back of the headstock that appears to be meant to hold allen wrenches. The Tremelo is stamped with "Washburn 600-S". It has twenty-two frets.

I don't really know enough about guitars to be able to explain much beyond that. I can say that, comparing it to another guitar I have, a Charvette, the neck appears to be the same width, but the cutout at the higher frets is much higher on the Washburn.

So... I guess what it looks like is maybe I got a fake N2 and I've had it for two decades without having any idea... or perhaps I've got some extremely early and rare version? If it's rare I'd probably rather hang onto it and restore it.

Does anyone have any idea?

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
Re: Help me identify my Washburn guitar? Please?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
Hi Erich

There are a lot of differences with your guitar but I believe you are in luck. First off the Bartolinis are almost guaranteed to be aftermarket mods. The tone knob has appeared on several N2s and is not as such a major anomaly, also the trem is correct. Your serial no suggests December 1990 as the D O M, which explains some of the other things as Nuno's N3 of that year had a switch near the pot. The lack of the word "signature" on the headstock I believe is because that hadn't been standardised yet as it is pretty much a prototype that was sold off. This would explain the skunk stripe on the neck as it will have been a Washburn strat neck modded in the design process with a Rosewood board and N4 headstock. I have seen a red one before so its genuine enough!

Hope this helps

Dan
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline ErichArndt

• View Profile
Re: Help me identify my Washburn guitar? Please?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »
Hi Erich

There are a lot of differences with your guitar but I believe you are in luck. First off the Bartolinis are almost guaranteed to be aftermarket mods. The tone knob has appeared on several N2s and is not as such a major anomaly, also the trem is correct. Your serial no suggests December 1990 as the D O M, which explains some of the other things as Nuno's N3 of that year had a switch near the pot. The lack of the word "signature" on the headstock I believe is because that hadn't been standardised yet as it is pretty much a prototype that was sold off. This would explain the skunk stripe on the neck as it will have been a Washburn strat neck modded in the design process with a Rosewood board and N4 headstock. I have seen a red one before so its genuine enough!

Hope this helps

Dan

Thanks for the info! I think I've now decided not to sell it and instead to put a little money and effort into trying to fix it up and make it nice again, now that I understand I have something a little bit special.