Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help, I can't identify my bass  (Read 363 times)

Offline illszjan

• View Profile
Help, I can't identify my bass
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:16:43 AM »
Hi, I have a bass that looks exactly like a T24 but says Bantam Series on the headstock. The serial number is YAGG9393 written in gold on the back of the headstock, which doesn't seem to fit the usual numbering and position I see here.

I hope someone can help

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Help, I can't identify my bass
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
At a guess, I'd say it's an early T24, maybe a demo run before it was decided to include it in the catalogue, so I'll say 2001.

Needing to call it something, they used a decal from the XB series that was coming to an end. Would not be the first time that Washburn used a strange decal.

The control-cavity cover is certainly different, & the tuning heads aren't tilted like the current bass.

The number you give makes no sense whatever. If it does indeed come from the company, then I'd say it's a demo piece, whether for early sales or a catalogue shot or adsheets. Even if that proves true, there's no way to tell whether it's unique or one of a hundred, so no guesses at rarity.

And some companies (G&L, among others) make demo pieces in order to test out different woods or glues. They might sell the result cheaply to a worker or a friendly store, but marked so that it can't be "returned" to some unsuspecting dealer for cash, or fixed under warranty.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/