Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn all wood guitars  (Read 806 times)

Offline lzybt

• View Profile
Washburn all wood guitars
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »
I have a wd20sce, and love the sound. I'm asking around to see if anyone knows of a solid wood washburn acoustic that is available now? I was looking at the comfort series (spalted maple), but I'm not sure because of some negative reviews about it. Anything will help.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Washburn all wood guitars
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
I have a WD32SW (all solid wood construction) that I would consider selling. It has been mod'ed with West African Hard Ivory nut and saddle, as well as bone strap button and bridge pins. The endpin is still plastic, though.

It is in "as new" condition...but as I purchased it from a forum member there is no factory warranty.

Washburn models with the "SW" designation in their model number will be of all solid-wood construction and there are "SW" models available new.

You mentioned "spalted maple"...the lone example that violates the "SW" rule is one if the spalted Maple models, so be aware of that one exception in making your choice.

They are breathtakingly beautiful, though, aren't they?

Please feel free to ask more questions...lots of knowledge on this forum!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:42:02 PM »
On the current onlne list --
  • HD100
  • HD120
  • R320
  • WD150
  • WD250
  • RSG200
  • WLO100
  • WLG110
There are of course some out-of-production models available from various dealers.

"Solid wood" is not necessarily a sign of a superior, pricier, or better-sounding guitar. For instance, the all-laminate WCG55 has an MSRP of $1,247.90 (street $699), without case. (For comparison, a solid-top WD7 or WG7 can be had, new, for $199.)  Meanwhile, a poorly built "all wood" guitar remains a poorly built guitar.

You must be referring to the cedar-top WCG66. The back & sides are laminate. To my knowledge, there has never been an acoustic guitar with any body components made from spalt maple. Spalting is a discoloration caused by fungi, which generally get those interesting markings from degrading the wood's cellular structure in some manner, which makes it more inconsistent as a tonewood (thus more difficult to select properly) if not structurally weaker.

The only negative review I can find online of the WCG66 says (1) "it's not as good as my $2,000 Taylor" (well, duh ::)), (2) "the nut fell off when I took the strings off" (horrors! :o), & (3) "the fret ends needed finishing" which is commonly fixed either by buying the guiar from a real-world shop (where such things are generally touched up as a matter of course) or by taking the guitar in to such a shop & paying maybe $25 (or getting it done as part of a $50 setup, something any proper acoustic guitar deserves, & annually at that).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:57:49 PM by Tony Raven »
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
World Music has a "New Product" special on a couple of Washburn all solid wood guitars:

WD250SWCE, regularly $749.99, now $429.99. This is a juiced guitar, ready for stage work. Probably a limited time offer, but not one of those " Stupid Deal of the Day" specials. This is advertised as having a solid wood spruce soundboard and solid Rosewood back and sides.

Also a WD150SWCE for $449.99, regular price $649.99. This one is advertised as having a solid wood spruce soundboard and solid wood mahogany back and sides. That one makes the WD250SWCE a VERY good deal!

Check to make sure World Music is an authorized dealer, though...that way you also get the warranty.

Git ya some of that!!!

Cheers!!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:42:47 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline lzybt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
Ordered a Washburn WD250SWCE. Thanks for that sales link? fantastic deal!

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »
That is the one I would have ordered if I needed another dread!

Please let us know how you like it once you have played it  ;D

Cheers from Dugly 8)