Username: Password:

Author Topic: Silver sparkle N4 - described as 1 of 25 ?  (Read 267 times)

Offline Jmp220478

• View Profile
Silver sparkle N4 - described as 1 of 25 ?
« on: March 01, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
Been offered great deal on a silver sparkle finish N4 - googling it I can only find one reference to a custom shop model by cs luthier  but not official issue ?

Would appreciate some insight / feedback as I'm an N4 newbie

Thanks for looking

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Silver sparkle N4 - described as 1 of 25 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:43:54 PM »
I love my guitars, but I have to ask...

If you know nothing about the N4, why on earth are you even considering buying such a high-end guitar? -- & I assume online as well, so not merely unplayed but sight unseen.

There are plenty of used USA-made N4 listed incorrectly as "Custom Shop."

There are plenty of N4 that were built in short runs for shops such as Funky Munky or Boogie Street. I've seen more than a dozen different finishes.

Now that the USA shop is closed, I don't know whether Customer Service would have access to those records.

The model is becoming very popular for counterfeiting. I can get a fake N4 for <$350. That sounds like a bargain to some people, but fakes are generally inferior materials, cheap hardware, poor construction.

Speaking for myself, I'd never buy an N4 without at least having it in my hands, preferably allowed to take it apart to check details, but likely with the assistance & approval of an experienced luthier at a credible guitar shop. I'm not wealthy enough to risk thousands of dollars on what might be an unplayable illegal copy.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Dblack

• View Profile
Re: Silver sparkle N4 - described as 1 of 25 ?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
I think you will find that guitar was one of twenty five commissioned by Eric at Boogie Street guitars.  I waves all white swamp ash model (14 of 25) that I purchased from Eric.  Mine is numbered on the back of the headstock with like a pinstripe scripting of the number. Google BSG's and you may find some old reference to the sparkle run of twenty five.