Username: Password:

Author Topic: Additional Specs on EA series (EA20SNB)  (Read 470 times)

Offline Robert1950

• View Profile
Additional Specs on EA series (EA20SNB)
« on: March 05, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »
I don't have the most adaptable frethand.  When it comes to barre chords and fretting notes I do better with fretboard radius of 12" or less and at least medium frets. I was looking into specs of the Festival EA series and notice there was no info on the radius or fretwire size (not a fan of vintage frets).  Does anyone here know that information.

Also, the Festivals are described as mini-jumbo. That means nothing to me. I like my guitars with a lower bout no wider than 15" (000/OM) in width. I find dreads a little awkward.  I'm Okay with Gibson and Fender scale lengths, though I have a very slight preference for the shorter one.

Thanks for any help

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Specs on EA series (EA20SNB)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »

Also, the Festivals are described as mini-jumbo. That means nothing to me.

Yeah, I have often wondered why Washburn refers to the Festivals as "Mini Jumbos" when they already have a series of guitars (no longer on the production list) that are called "Mini Jumbo", too...I own three, two of the WMJ21S model (Cedar over Rosewood) and one of the WMJ11S models (Spruce over mahogany). Both have the larger lower bout and the smaller upper bout, but neither has the small "waist" I associate with actual "Jumbo" models, nor do they have the depth that I associate with Jumbos.

There is, however, one model in my "collection" that really does resemble a smaller (mini) Jumbo model...my WGO26SWCE. I suppose the "GO" part stands for "Grand Auditorium", but in my hand this axe has the feel and the projection we'd expect from a true Jumbo that has been cut down in size. I love the guitar (except that I need to dress the first fret...the nut is cut so deep that the e string buzzes on the fret, but I can take care of that the next time I have the strings off for a change).

The Festival series is so shallow that it really does lack projection when played unplugged. They do, however, REALLY ROCK when played plugged in. Highly recommended if you play slide, too.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:32:10 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Additional Specs on EA series (EA20SNB)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
"GO" is likely Grand Orchestra, swiping the Jumbo modifications that Taylor came up with.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/features/shapes/grand-orchestra
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/