Username: Password:

Author Topic: Searching for my first N series  (Read 353 times)

Offline beacolyte

• View Profile
Searching for my first N series
« on: March 06, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
Hey gang,

New guy here. Recently sold my strat and my only other guitar is a chunky 10LB LP type.

Really miss my light and fast strat. loved that neck. Started looking for light natural look s type guitars with no guard and came across the n series and really love the look.

I am curious for some input from you guys. after lurking for a few days it appears the N4 is the target everyone is reaching for. I wish I could afford one. Was looking at the N1 and N2. Had a couple thoughts on those. Is the N2 the clear winner? I have seen people talking about older used N2s like they are more desirable. Should i hunt that down instead of a new N2?

Thanks guys! Can't wait to join the club.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Searching for my first N series
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:06:05 AM »
IMO, an N2 isn't really a Nuno -- all it has is the shape, no Extended Cutaway neck joint, so the ~$600 doesn't seem like a great investment.

Speaking for myself, if all I wanted was the shape, I'd get a Sonamaster ($120-$200) & upgrade the hardware to suit myself.

But to me a Nuno without an SEC is like a Les Paul with three single-coil pickups.

Though I hope to eventually get an N5, there's a decent-looking padauk N24 on Reverb, asking $599 shipped.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline todd5789

• View Profile
Re: Searching for my first N series
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »
i would find an early 90's korean model. I was able to get one on ebay for 225 dollars in padauk stain. Really nice guitar with great sound and the wood is alder so a lot better than the n24 woods used which is agathis. Remember that the n2 was the first released nuno model based off of his n2 he played before he used cutaways. You can see some early live footage where he is playing an n2, just its not a washburn but a upside down looking fender neck with a warmoth body. And to me the sec is not that special and to be honest a little awkward to use as it stops your thumb early at the 15th fret. Where an n2 has that block out, i feel you can reach the higher frets easier! I believe there is a reason only nuno uses the cutaway and why no one else does. Had it worked great, everyone would be using them that play guitar. I say get the n2 and if you ever see an n4 or n24 in a shop try it out and see how comfortable you are with the cutaway before throwing down way more money on it. I'm speaking with experience here as i have both an older korean model n2 and a newer indonesian n24 model with the sec.