Username: Password:

Author Topic: What have I bought?  (Read 966 times)

Offline Mototech

• View Profile
What have I bought?
« on: March 21, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
Hi folks, I'm new here,so please be gentle with me.
I've just bought a Washburn, which I believe is an Idol, but I know no more about it, other than I'm told it has the wrong pickups & somebody has added an extra pot for some reason.
Any insight would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Brian.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: What have I bought?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
Definitely an Idol. What does the trussrod cover say?

I'm certain I've seen one before, but can't ID it offhand.

No such thing as "wrong" pickups on a Washburn. Seems like the most common Washburn mod is to ditch the pickups (though, personally, I've got no complaints).

More controversial is the VCC ("voice contour control") knobs in place of the usual Gibson-style Tone knobs. The idea was that instead of switching off one coil to get a "single-coil sound," the player would be able to not merely "dial in" either sound, but get anything in-between. As a bonus, the circuit offers "single-coil sound" with no hum. IME, it works pretty well... but guitar players tend to be wee small creatures with little tolerance for anything new that isn't an effects box or amp.

At a guess, I'd say the fifth knob is a Tone knob, & it looks like there's a switch to skip right past the whole VCC thing & cut from double- to -single-coil (or maybe it's a phase switch).

If I'm correct about the Tone knob, that does strike me as a little odd. Most times when someone puts in a different pickup, they gut the guitar & put in a standard Gibson-style harness. (I figure that eventually this will be seen as akin to pulling the Varitone out of an ES-355. :o) adding a knob suggests that the VCC is still there.

In any case, it suggests previous ownership by a serious player.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Mototech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:08:43 AM »
Thanks for your input Tony.
I won't have it in my hands for a few days, but I have found out it is a WI-66 pro e, somethinng to do with Zakk Wylde &  I think it originally came with EMG's. That would explain the Gothicy, metally fretboard inlay!
Brian.

Offline Mototech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:25:44 AM »
Serial number is 06091861, but I can't find it in the 2006 catalog.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:48:05 AM by Mototech »

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »
Hi Brian

You've got an upgraded WI66 which came with EMG pickups
Washburn used to allow dealers to order special runs of Korean made Idols, as long as they order 50 of them.
so what you've got is one out of 50 special run WI66 Pro-E idol.

you can check out this thread for specs
http://forums.washburn.com/index.php?topic=22547.0

Shaul
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline Mototech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:34:31 AM »
Thanks for that Shaul, I have refitted the EMG's & it will be for sale shortly.

Brian.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
Washburn used to allow dealers to order special runs of Korean made Idols, as long as they order 50 of them.
Yah, certainly. They're good MIK guitars, though I've seen a couple of sellers try to fob them off as "Washburn Custom Shop." ::)

I tried to make a complete list of ALL the Idols, but it bogged down -- in part from the proliferation of WI-66 variants, which I couldn't fathom at the time. But my notes say the WI-66PRO appeared in the 2005 catalogue (with the WI-67PRO, the slightly larger semihollow version). In 2007, WI-66 appeared (with less-fancy hardware & electronics). The USA-made WI-566 showed up for 2008. The "old Idol" line pretty much came to an end after 2009. (I've got a WI-66V, 2002-2003.)

In 2014, Boogie Street somehow discovered four NOS 2008 WI-566, which they sold at $1,575.

I have an unattributed quote, which I think is from somewhere on this site --
washburn did have some rare limited run models, like the WI66PROSP (Spalted Maple), WI66PROIA (Indian Apple), WI66PROCO (Cocobolo), and WI66PROZ (Ziricote).

I have the WI66PROZ and I found out that it was a limited run of only 15 made!

There was the WI-66ANC, the MIK version of the NC-70 "Nick Catanese" signature.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/