Username: Password:

Author Topic: Please take a look at the enclosed link to my request for advice regarding amps!  (Read 461 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
I don't want to spam up your forum board with a duplicate post, so please visit my original post on the Acoustic Guitar board, and if you can offer advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, folks! Here's the thread link:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,26819.0.html

Cheers!...and thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I really am clueless (as you'll realize once you read the thread!).

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
OK, guys 'n' gals...I have followed the unanimous advice from all parties to get a solid state amp, so today I bought a "used" Fender Stage 112SE. It has WAAAAY too many controls, so I am hoping you will help me understand how to drive this beast. It will probably be used mostly with my juiced acoustics, but I also own an Epiphone Dot (mod'ed with all good Gibson pots & caps) as well as a solid-body Epiphone "LP"entry level electric guitar.

Here is what I posted on the Acoustic Guitar Players board:

"The front panel contains 1/4" inputs for two channels (one is called "Normal" and the other is called "Drive"), a foot switch, as well as 1/4" inputs/outputs labeled "pre-amp out", "power amp in", and "line out". The "Normal Channel" has a volume control, a treble control, a mid control and a bass control as well as a push switch between the mid control and the bass control labeled "Mid Shift". The "Drive Channel" has a gain control, a contour control, a treble control, a bass control and a volume control, as well as a push switch between the bass control and volume control labeled "Drive Select". There is also a "Reverb" control. It also has the foot switch in the cabinet."

So...I'm lost. What is the difference between a "Normal" channel and a "Drive" channel? I get that the foot switch plugs into the "foot switch" 1/4" input...but what does that control? Input 1 has 850K ohms impedance, Input 2 has 66K ohms. Which input would be best for the guitars and which for a mic (the owner of the store assured me that a mic could be plugged into one of the two 1/4" input jacks). What do the "Mid Shift" and "Drive select" push-buttons do?

I guess I need a "Fender Amp Guide for Dummies!!!", but any help from knowledgable members is better than what little I know.

I could imagine that I would play both my "juiced" acoustic guitars as well as my LP/Dot electric guitars through this unit. I doubt that the control settings would be the same for both....I'm lost!

I only paid $250 for it and it is in "as-new" condition except for a slight bit of rust on one of the chrome corner protectors...looks like it could have been removed from the factory packaging just before I bought it, cosmetically it is that perfect.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Doug

Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
Thanks, Tony....I already downloaded it, but because I have never had any reason to use an amp I don't really understand a lot of what I read in it.  IIRC I plugged the Peavey mic I bought into the higher impedance channel of the two...not that I know if it was the right thing to do or not.

I know that I can get the amp to produce a decent sound from the WGO26SCE, although I do wonder if there is something wrong with the UST because the high e string isn't really as audible as the rest...but maybe I need to adjust the tone of the guitar's pickup, or perhaps turn up the treble control on the amp. Since I have no experience with this sort of stuff I don't really know . I do remember that I had to turn the bass all the way down b/c of the humming...feedback, obviously...and I was probably too close to the amp's speaker with the guitar, anyway. So much to learn!!

I do know that I had both the guitar and the mic plugged in at the same time...just don't remember if I tried to get guitar and vocals out of the amp at the same time. I'll putz around with it a while tonight and see what I get and come back and let you know.

Cheers!....and "Onward! Through the fog!!!"

Dugly 8)