Username: Password:

Author Topic: Weird Washburn Idol guitar, need to identify it!  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Bulwyf

• View Profile
Weird Washburn Idol guitar, need to identify it!
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »
Well, i got this guitar recently, i trade it to some dude for an ltd guitar that i had before and as far as i know this is just a regular Washburn WI-66, but it has some features that i haven't seen on the previous WI-66 models that i checked out on google  that got me wondering about this guitar (i will put some pictures below)

-First, the "horn" is nothing like the regular Idol horn, it looks like more like a les paul horn

-Second, i know that there are two models of the WI-66, one with tremolo bridge (WI-66V) and one with TOM bride (WI-66PRO) and those models have their own model written on the truss rod cover, but mine only says WI-66, when in this case, being the one with the tremolo bridge it should say WI-66V.

-Third, i don't know if this has to do with it but i took out the pickups to see which pickups this guitar had, but they don't have any model engraved on the bottom, they just say "G&B CO."

-And last, this guitar doesn't have a serial number anywhere, i checked other similar models on google and all of them have their serial numbers on the back of the headstock, this one doesn't

More pics:

I really need to know what's the deal with this thing, please help me! :P

PS: I'm from south america, so my english is bad, i'm doing my best lol

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Weird Washburn Idol guitar, need to identify it!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:04:48 PM »
Yah, I do see what you mean -- that horn immediately reminded me of a P2 (which is more extreme still). But everything else is definitely WI66V (2002-2003) in Transparent Blue.

It's possible that what you have is an early demo, either showing what the factory could do with the design or for a sales rep to show to big retailers in hope of stirring up advance orders.

One of the best examples of Korea-made Washburn, though my opinion is a little biased. ;D In any case, a very good guitar, & nice-looking too.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline Bulwyf

• View Profile
Re: Weird Washburn Idol guitar, need to identify it!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply! :D, my first guess was the same as yours since my guitar doesn't have a serial number, according to Wasburn FAQ that could mean that it is a prototype or an early version of the final WI66V model.

An yeah, it is a really nice looking guitar, and it sound and feels awesome, i work in my country as an electric guitar salesman in a really big local music store so i have tested an played a lot of expensive guitars, and this washburn feels as good as any of the guitars i have tried in my job, like a really well made instrument, so i'm really happy with it :)