Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn SBF-24  (Read 722 times)

Offline omaidk91

• View Profile
Washburn SBF-24
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
Hello Guys, I recently bought a Washburn SBF-24. It was love at first sight with this guitar. I was told that its pre-amp is not working and need to be replaced, which wasn't a big issue. However when the technician had a look at it, he found out that there is no pre-amp inside, and few other things are missing too. If the parts were still intact, at least he would have known what is compatible with it. He is saying that he can make it a semi-acoustic, but not fully electric, the way its manufactured. And I don't want that.  Please enlighten me on it guys, I need to know precisely what things need to be installed.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Washburn SBF-24
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
On some "acoustic/electric" guitars, output might be low impedance & thus requiring external pre-amplification before it is ready to be run to an amp or soundboard.

Nowadays, most a/e guitars have a piezoelectric strip underneath the saddle, which sends what it picks up to an onboard preamp, which has a panel of controls (knobs, switches, sliders, displays), a battery box, & an output jack. All of those things may be separate pieces, or put together in some manner.

Because it's so slim, the SBF-24 doesn't have room for a standard preamp control panel like (say) Fishman uses, just three knobs: Volume, Midrange Booster, Tone. One option is to skip the onboard conrols entirely, install something like a Fishman "Powerjack" or EMG "Mystery" (which has a preamp built into a slightly oversize endpin jack) or an older Fishman AGP-2.

(The Fishman "Prefix Pro Blend" isone of the narrowest on the market, needing less than 2.0", but even that may be too wide for you.)

Aside from size, there's very little problem with "compatibility" here. WIth few exceptions, any piezo strip will work with any preamp intended for a piezo strip. If it doesn't, then replace the piezo strip with one that DOES work with that preamp.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/