Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB35 weight balance  (Read 1117 times)

Offline MadAlfie

• View Profile
HB35 weight balance
« on: May 07, 2017, 06:10:38 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to the Washburn family having just purchased a new HB35. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase, my only niggle is the balance of the guitar. When standing with a strap around my neck it has a really annoying tendency for the headstock to fall towards the floor. I'm guessing the strap button isn't in the right place.

I've noticed the Grover tuners are heavy compared to Kluson style tuners, not sure if the difference would make much of an impact though.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, any ideas how I can cure it. This is putting me off wanting to play my HB35 live.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:12:33 AM by MadAlfie »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: HB35 weight balance
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
IME, it's a recurring problem with any 335-style guitar.

You could reduce the headstock weight, or add weight to the butt-end (or that end of your strap), or relocate a strap button. In this case, moving the button from the neck heel to the tip of the horn will give a little more stability. You'll probably need a longer screw than presently used.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline MadAlfie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
Thanks Tony, my concern with fitting a strap button to the top horn is the lack of material to screw into. Being a semi-hollow bodyI would need to try and install a shaped piece of wood in through the F hole, not impossible, but bloody difficult all the same.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:56:26 AM »
True enough -- on a 335, the "wings" have very little structural intent. This is fine for players who mostly sit or stand still. Actually, unless you're already endangering your guitar, it'd likely do fine with a well-installed wood screw, but I do understand your concern.

Two options come to mind. The easiest is to overdrill the hole (like 1/4" or more), & put in some sort of toggle anchor. Not a big fan of this one, I'll admit.

That leaves (as you guessed) going inside. If I needed to do THAT much work, I'd drill the screw-size hole clean through & use fishline, pulling the screw through from inside. The little piece of wood would be carved to roughly fit -- short of taking the top off, or much painstaking work with a bore cam, I doubt exactness is possible -- & get a thin layer of black rubber foam where it'd mee the inside of the horn. Instead of a screw I'd use a hexhead, carve a snug hex recess into the wood, & use a tiny dot of cyanocrylate on the screw to to pull it into place; this would likely take a few tries to get the screw length correct. Put on the strap button & a nut (maybe with Loctite).
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline MadAlfie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:28:04 AM »
Thanks Tony, that's very helpful.

After reading your suggestions, a thought occurred to me. I looked at pictures of the Gibson 335, in particular, the position of the strap button on the back. These looked like they were closer to the neck than my HB35. I took the plunge, out came the drill and I've moved it 10mm back. Problem solved  :).