Username: Password:

Author Topic: Unidentifiable Festival Series (1999 - I believe)  (Read 695 times)

Offline Pochonglos

• View Profile
Unidentifiable Festival Series (1999 - I believe)
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »
Hello!

Looking into a second hand Festival Series and after some heavy research have come up with nothing.

Here are a couple of pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1L0suOsiGVFZkRKSW9iN0ZPYTg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1L0suOsiGVFclpTNjJZcHozOHc/view?usp=sharing

The guy selling advertised as being 80s but he was promptly corrected on the forum that it was probably 90s. If the serial number is anything to go by, that's probably true.

On another thread where a similar guitar was posted, apparently the WM stands for Washburn Millenium. When I googled that, there were some links to DM2000 but not the 4000 on the sticker of the advertised one.

Here's the link to the other thread for reference:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,24082.0.html

The wood surrounding the sticker looks like plywood but difficult to make out. However, the one on the other thread looks like wood.

If it is some kind of EA-20, could someone explain the insane retail price change over 20 years. Were they better before?

Fingers crossed someone might be able to identify this one and what it might have been worth.

Cheers!

PS. Add. info: It has 'limited Edition on the 12th fret'.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:23:43 PM by Pochonglos »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Unidentifiable Festival Series (1999 - I believe)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »
Over the years Washburn used the same model numbers for different guitars within the festival series.  They also used names, Monterey for example and used the same name in different guitars.  They also changed specs, sometimes dramatically, within the same model.  Washburn would also contract with a big box retailer and make a variation of a model just for that retailer.  All in all this makes the festival series very confusing.  As you've found out some models, like the one you reference, have little to no info about them.

The serial number does indicate it was built in 1999.  My guess is it's a all laminate guitar.  Probably built as an exclusive (a'ka limited) for a retailer.  Most of the festival series was built that way, although a few have solid wood tops.  All of the festival series guitars were built for stage work.  For thatera, they were very good stage guitars.  The acoustic tone suffers somewhat due to the thin body, laminate construction and solid bracing.  Electronics have come a long way since then, so now there a better electro/acoustic options.

Offline Pochonglos

• View Profile
Re: Unidentifiable Festival Series (1999 - I believe)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
Thanks for that!

Starting to to 'get' the whole Festival Series.

Specially appreciate the info on the tonal qualities. I don't want it for stage use. I liked the electronics on it thinking it would be good for direct recording but I also want good acoustic response for mic use.

So, probably not what I looking for.

Cheers!