Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with the model W-1 hollow body?  (Read 313 times)

Offline rocket launcher

• View Profile
Anyone familiar with the model W-1 hollow body?
« on: June 24, 2017, 03:07:58 PM »
Hey there friends,

There is a nice used hollow body for sale locally for a good price for its condition.  The label says its a "W -1", but i cant find any info on that model?  Any of you have any experience with this series?

Offline rocket launcher

• View Profile
Re: Anyone familiar with the model W-1 hollow body?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »

Offline rocket launcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
Man, I tell ya, its like this thing never existed.  Maybe a stripped version of the J-10 Orleans made in mid 90's?

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »
Firstly, I hope you've actually BOUGHT it by now, if you sincerely want to OWN it. This site gets checked regularly by all major search engines; if we were to say it's definitely worth a HUGE amount of cash, the seller might read it before you act, & be intelligent enough to jack up the price. :o

I'll as AND answer the Usual First Question: "Is it worth a lot of money?"

Probably not.

It's a nice-looking guitar in really good condition, & likely plays great (& would be even better after proper maintenance). Washburn has made very few half-arsed guitars since the 1970s, particularly with their archtops. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was a Japan build, maybe even Yairi.

It's certainly NOT "a version of the J-10." At a glance: snakehead, different soundholes & cutaway, dots -- it'd likely be ebony fretboard, too. It may have been a predecessor,but that's not saying much, really. (FWIW, I think the "Orleans" was the second J-10 version, 1995-7.)

A J-10, in GREAT shape, with OHSC, might sell for ~$750. (It's easy to find a NEW J-3 for under $500, J-7V for $700.)

As detailed elsewhere, most Washburn models were built in runs of 200. The models that didn't sell quickly enough were simply never re-ordered. This "rarity" means little as so few models have a significant market demand.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/