Username: Password:

Author Topic: Truss rod on a EA10  (Read 321 times)

Offline maxedd21

• View Profile
Truss rod on a EA10
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
I have a '99 Festival and when trying to add a little relief to the neck have discovered the end of the rod (nut?) has dug into the side of the hole in the bracing.Also it looks like I am raising the area of the 1st fret next to the nut . I put a straight edge across the frets and a feeler gauge that clears next to the fret won't clear next to the nut.Any suggestion what caused this? And what to do to repair it? Like making the hole in the brace larger..lol

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Truss rod on a EA10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  It's very hard, if not impossible, to accurately diagnose what is going on w/o having the guitar in hand.  Having said that it's possible, maybe even likely, the neck and/or truss rod is bent.  How this happened is anyone's guess and likely not important now.  The bigger question is what to do about it?

You mentioned you wanted to add some relief to the neck.  I gather the neck was almost perfectly straight and you loosened the truss rod a tiny bit to get a bit more bow in the neck.  While doing this you discovered the truss rod is not centered in the bracing hole, but digging into one side.  So, it would seem the neck is warped a bit, or the truss rod is bent.  Maybe both.  The fact that adjusting the truss rod is also pushing up on the first fret also is an indicator the neck/truss rod may be out of alignment.

If I'm correct (and that's a very big IF) the cost of fixing all this will far exceed the value of the guitar.  Here is some Blue Book info.

EA10 (NEWPORT)
- deep single sharp cutaway deep body, spruce top, oval soundhole, bound body, three-stripe purfling/rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 21-fret bound rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay, rosewood bridge with white black dot pins, bound peghead with screened logo, three-per-side chrome Grover tuners, acoustic bridge pickup, Equis Standard preamp, available in Black or Natural finish,
mfg. 1994-2003.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
$525 $330 - 380 $175 - 225
Last MSR was $730.

At the very top end the guitar is worth $350-$400, assuming it's in excellent shape, which yours is not.  To reset the neck, remove the fret board, fix the truss rod, etc. is going to set you back well over $500.  To really know for sure you should take the guitar to a good repair person, but be prepared for some bad news.