Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB35 very dark sounding  (Read 660 times)

Offline MadAlfie

• View Profile
HB35 very dark sounding
« on: August 04, 2017, 10:04:31 AM »
Hi guys,

Any suggestions to make my HB35 sound a bit brighter. Standard pickups sound very muddy, particularly the neck. I'm playing Blues Rock / Classic Rock into a Blues Deluxe Reissue, clean channel with pedals for dirt.

Some have suggested Seth Lovers, I have SD 59's in my PRS Tremonti SE and Les Paul, both of which sound great. Are the Seth Lovers better suited to semi-hollow bodies?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: HB35 very dark sounding
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
Not scientific, but my experience is that the tone you describe means the pickups are overly hot for that guitar's natural tone.

Buying for a brand name isn't necessarily the best way to go about it, sorta like shopping for the nicest-looking box. ;) I'd recommend GFS pickups on price alone, like under $40 for most models. (I've got friends who swear by Artec, too.) The site's become a pain to navigate, but some digging might be worthwhile --
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized_c_578.html

Specifically, consider the "Vintage 59."
Classic output levels- wound like a good solid set of late 50's PAF's- 8.5-8.8K for the Bridge, 8.0-8.2K for the neck. Vintage construction with classic bobbin shape and size, Formvar 42 gauge enamel wire, Nickel polepieces and adjusting screws- All thoroughly wax impregnated with BEESWAX
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Ajm558

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:12:23 AM »
The most common answer to his problem is to build a new harness for the wiring, specifically using some cts pots and some high quality caps.  To make the tone brighter, I would suggest Orange Drop caps (22 in the bridge pickup and 15 in the neck). This should be cheaper than pickups, and should be the fix you are looking for. 

FWIW, I did both the harness and pickups for my HB32, a darker sounding guitar than the HB35.  The pickups were DiMarzio Air Classic neck and the DiMarzio MoJoe in the bridge.  The MoJoe is very hot compared to stock, but it is not muddy due to the harness. 

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide to do.

Offline MadAlfie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
Thanks AJM558, very useful info, I'm going to do a complete rewire, just as you have suggested. Undecided on the pickups, it'll be interesting to here the difference with new wiring and caps.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:33:55 PM »
So, any updates on the Great Capacitor Miracle? ;)
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Ajm558

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
So, any updates on the Great Capacitor Miracle? ;)

+1 on an update.