Username: Password:

Author Topic: damaged AB 40 : what you think ?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline basspatrol

• View Profile
damaged AB 40 : what you think ?
« on: June 08, 2005, 12:21:33 PM »
hey bassists , first posting here  . . . hope to get some advice on a washburn  .
i was doing a pawn shop cruise the other day and came across an AB 40 that caught my eye .. had the guy pull it down so i could check it out . to my rookie ear ( 2 years casual playing ) it sounded real good , although i didn't plug it in . it was straight and the action seemed good , however , the body has cracks lengthwise on the top and bottom . on the top it appears as one single line from one end to the other just above the controls , with no apparent deformity in the wood . on the bottom it is also one line from end to end , directly under the top one , with an almost imperceptible depression along the line . the owner of the shop had no story to explain the damage , but it would appear that  the guitar was exposed to weight stress . there are no other signs of damage or abuse other than regular wear .
asking price was 495 $ canadian , including case .
is this worth pursuing  , or should i just forget about it ? do these cracks just add  character  , or do they significantly take away from the sound integrity of the instrument , as well as the  value  of a washburn ?
i currently own a samick acoustic bass , which is nice , but no doubt the washburn sounds ( unplugged , anyway ) and looks nicer .  

thanks for any and all help . . . . awaiting replies . . ..

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 07:06:41 PM »
Absolutely not. You can get an AB 40 on eBay for about the same price undamaged. Somebody fell on that one or something. Why buy it?
no frets?

Offline basspatrol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:41:54 AM »
thanks for the reply russell  . . . . .

i think i'll leave it on the hook for a while , see if the guy gets a bit desperate to move it  , then give him a lowball offer .

it did sound real good , so the opportunity to get a washburn ( albeit cracked ) at a low price seemed good . it was just a chance passing at a shop i go to once in a blue moon .  

i have a broken bone in my right hand , and won't / haven't been able to play for a while , so i'm kind of dreaming . . . . .