Username: Password:

Author Topic: Comort series  (Read 349 times)

Offline mondarlo

• View Profile
Comort series
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
I was looking at the WCG25sce  and saw the WCG22sce-u  on the Guitar Center and Musicians Friend site.  They seem very similar,  so i checked the Washburn site and could not find the WCG22sce at all.   Why is that guitar not listed?   From the pictures on the GC site,  i can see the tuner/preamp on the 25, but not the 22.  How do the electronics differ?  Both are Solid top,  lam rosewood sides,  the 25 has a contrast strip down the back.  The 22 has 1 more fret.     Other differences?

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Comort series
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
Why is that guitar not listed?
Any number of reasons. The most likely: Washburn often produces a particular model (or variant) just for sale through major retailers. These never appear in a Washburn catalog or pricelist. At a guess, I'd say the 22 is a slightly downscale 25.

From the pictures on the GC site,  i can see the tuner/preamp on the 25, but not the 22.  How do the electronics differ?
Why did you not check the MF site? There it clearly says the 22 has a Fishman 301T system... which actually is also what it says at GC Online.  ??? The 25 has a Fishman Presys+.

Other differences?
The 25 has NuBone nut/saddle.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:17:43 PM by Tony Raven »
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline mondarlo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
Why is that guitar not listed?
Any number of reasons. The most likely: Washburn often produces a particular model (or variant) just for sale through major retailers. These never appear in a Washburn catalog or pricelist. At a guess, I'd say the 22 is a slightly downscale 25.
From the pictures on the GC site,  i can see the tuner/preamp on the 25, but not the 22.  How do the electronics differ?
Why did you not check the MF site? There it clearly says the 22 has a Fishman 301T system... which actually is also what it says at GC Online.  ??? The 25 has a Fishman Presys+.
Other differences?
The 25 has NuBone nut/saddle.

Thanks for the reply---I didn't read the blurb,  just compared the specs.   Guess I should be more careful about asking questions with obvious answers. 

Offline xgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »
I had this same question and getting Washburn on the phone is impossible I have discovered and they don't return calls from left messages. In any case, the 22 is made in China and the 25 is made in Canada. Also the 25 has a little different wood make up incl the neck, etc. And as stated before the electronics a bit different.  Gtr Ctr is out till 10/25 to carry this model for some reason. I think the 22 may be discontinued. I placed an order for the 25 on backorder and would like Washburn to say when they think they will have production stock ready?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »
From Tony's information, it sounds like the 25 is the one I'd want.

It has great specs...AND you get the great Grover 18:1 tuners! No wonder it's so expensive!

Hope you can get one!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:06:02 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:09:11 AM »
I won't fault Customer Support because they've had some helpful nice people over the years. However, I do get the impression that the Illinois staff has been repeatedly slashed since Jam Ind bought the company (2009), & you're pretty much talking to whoever happens to not have their hands full (maybe literally) & is nearest the phone.

the 25 is made in Canada.
Okay, now THAT is pretty cool. :) Very few models of modern Washburn acoustic guitars have been made anywhere in North America, & I predict those will do GREAT at retaining value for resale on that fact alone.

Guitars from Canada have a certain cachet thanks to brands like Godin/Seagull or Art + Lutherie. If anyone can tell me what shop is building the Washburns, I'd appreciate it!!

Okay, now I have to make a few comments about guitar "values" & non-USA builds.

Not that I have ANY problem with imports myself. Sure, when a nation begins to find that instruments are a lucrative product, there are generally some "teething pains" in the early years -- like, early Mexico Fenders really are not so good as current Squiers. Generally, I wasn't a fan of early Korea guitars, but MIK quickly became a mark of quality, there's a few Indonesias in my music room, & Red China has definitely stepped up in recent years.

The biggest problem is NOT slipshod build quality, but the parent company specifying cheapness. For instance, the most significant difference between an MIM Strat & a USA Strat is the hardware. (Swap in some new parts, & you'll easily have a superior guitar for less than the "better" guitar would have set you back, AND those parts are exactly what you want rather than a one-size-fits-all design choice.)

To build on what Dugly said, any "cheap" guitar that has factory-installed Grovers generally indicates that there was less "cutting corners" in the build, & the stuff you don't see -- proper curing of wood, skilled glue-up, plenty of time for finish to set -- is probably better.

All that said, the Marketplace isn't smart. :( People will pay more than a guitar is really worth so long as it's MIJ or USA; dig through an online site like Reverb.com, you'll see there's lively trade in those ghastly MIJ "tulip" electrics from ~1964-1974, & people still clamor for Teisco Del Rey even though most were garbage with bad necks (half-round "baseball bats" &/or warped/twisted) & plastic unadjustable bridges.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/