Username: Password:

Author Topic: What is the origin of the Flint hill series?  (Read 188 times)

Offline Ryanhunt

• View Profile
What is the origin of the Flint hill series?
« on: October 06, 2017, 06:37:59 AM »
I found a flint hill d52sw for pretty cheap online but I can't tell where it was made, I have a D48 Comanche (native series) and it sounds great, but it has had several crack repairs cause the PO's let it get too dry so I try to baby it. The flint hill looks similar to a lot of the USA custom shop stuff but the price and year makes me wonder if it is Chinese or of some other origin. I want something nice that sounds similar to my comanche but without the cracks so there's less worry if I take it somewhere.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: What is the origin of the Flint hill series?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
Ryan, that model number is pretty close to the models that were made in the acoustic guitar custom shop some time ago when John Stover was running that operation...perhaps not the D52SW (this failing memory is telling me that the D64+sw's and up were the custom shop models), but that model is a fairly highly regarded standard Washburn piece. There will be a thread on the Acoustic guitar forum authored by "Don't Tread on Me" in which the member purchased a D52SW from Pike, one of our former contributors here on the forum (I think it might have been the "CE" model, too).

Your D52SW will be an all solid-wood guitar, so if you're not ready to baby it somewhat it might not be the best choice for you. As with all all solid-wood guitars, it'll require periodic humidification and the same sort of extra care we all lavish on our all solid-wood guitars. I sincerely doubt that it will be more robust than your D48 Comanche...

Keep us posted on what you find out...and don't be afraid to use the "Search" function at the top of the forum, you'll probably find a lot of info there about the D52SW stuff!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:49:50 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »
I found a flint hill d52sw for pretty cheap online but I can't tell where it was made,

Can you post the serial number off the paper tag inside the body of the guitar?

Quite often those serial numbers start with two letters, which tell the place of manufacture (for example, CC is "Cort, China" and SI is "Samick, Indonesia". Tony Raven has posted in the General Discussion forum a thread regarding what you can and what you cannot tell from the serial numbers.  Here is a link to that thread:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,26561.0.html

As I read the above linked thread, I realize it says that identifying the place of manufacture is a crap shoot because there is no telling what the abbreviations for the place of manufacture match...but IIRC there is a Wiki page somewhere that lists some of the abbreviations, so try searching Wikipedia, too.

Let us know about the serial number if you can!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:37:46 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:47 PM »
Ryan, that model number is pretty close to the models that were made in the acoustic guitar custom shop some time ago when John Stover was running that operation...perhaps not the D52SW (this failing memory is telling me that the D64SW and later models were the custom shop models), but that D52SW model is a fairly highly regarded standard Washburn piece. There will be a thread on the Acoustic guitar forum authored by "Don't Tread on Me" in which the member purchased a D52SW from Pike, one of our former contributors here on the forum (I think it might have been the "CE" model, too).

Your D52SW will be an all solid-wood guitar, so if you're not ready to baby it somewhat it might not be the best choice for you. As with all all solid-wood guitars, it'll require periodic humidification and the same sort of extra care we all lavish on our all solid-wood guitars. I sincerely doubt that it will be more robust than your D48 Comanche...

Keep us posted on what you find out...and don't be afraid to use the "Search" function at the top of the forum, you'll probably find a lot of info there about the D52SW stuff!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:48:00 AM by YerDugliness »