Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn maverick Custom shop; real or fake?  (Read 203 times)

Offline Pinkpf

• View Profile
Washburn maverick Custom shop; real or fake?
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
Hi
I,ve seen a Wahburn maverick Custom shop around recently. But i couldn't find anything about this customshop in any site or washburn catalogues.
I wonder if anyone can help me find if this is a real or fake one?

Offline bigcity2

• View Profile
Re: Washburn maverick Custom shop; real or fake?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:51:12 PM »
Looks like its got a bolt on neck....show us the back of the guitar and a closeup of the back of the head stock.  My first thought is that this is an imported BT that someone spent a lot of time repainting and customizing.  Is there a serial number and  "Made In USA" stamped into the back of the head stock?

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:49:14 PM »
It's possible that it was a one-off upgrade from the Custom Shop, for someone who wanted a bolt-neck rather than a set-neck (WM). But I've never seen a trussrod cover like that.

The abalone is over-the-top. I seriously doubt someone would "upgrade" the logo like that!!

What leads me to believe it's the Real Thing? Count the frets. :o

Is it worth gazillions of $$$? Oh, HECK no. :P It's still a BT, albeit a rather cool one. Maybe $500, tops.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:52:24 PM »
P.S. -- know how they did that abalone logo? It's a trick used by Austin about the same time. They carve a shallow slot in the headstock face, glue down the "inlay" material, then silkscreen the logo over the top of it. The result looks much like inlay, but takes very little work.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/