Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ended up looking at a Washburn electric by chance  (Read 358 times)

Offline Jerrysimon

• View Profile
Ended up looking at a Washburn electric by chance
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:20:55 PM »
Well been years since I posted on here back in 2006 when I was looking at acoustic 12 strings.

Anyway been a die hard Taylor acoustic played for many years now but thought I would perhaps have a look at playing some electric.

Started like many probably doing some research and falling into the Strat/LP decision. I liked the idea of a LP mainly because of the shape and acoustic like headstock lol

Did not really want to jump in and pay a fortune on a Gibson so ended up looking at Epiphone range. Didn't want anything fancy so was going down the Studio route but when I tried it man was it heavy. I know that helps with sustain but my Taylor (1996) small bodied 512 is literally half the weight of the 8.4lb LP. I also love ebony fretboards (Taylor hangover).

Whilst doing some research I learnt a little about single coil and humbuckers. Ok I am a real novice here. Anyway at my local music shop I tried a LP with the option to have a humbucker with coil splitting or tapping I think they call it.

Anyway still hated the  weight of the LP but liked the shape. Then in the shop they said we have something a bit off wall you may like, but may suit you and handed me a Washburn PXL10WA !!

Suddenly I seemed to have something that ticked all the boxes above. The guitar felt small, light, right, had the lovely ebony fretboard and a set of Seymour Duncan pickups (with spliting/taps watever it is) for more sound options.

I have put a deposit on it as they seem to be really reduced. In fact a steal! This is less than half the cost from when they first came out in 2014. Just adding up the parts gover tuners, pickups, set neck etc makes really good value. I guess it must be an outgoing model ?

The thing is its sold as a heavy metal/rock guitar, though I doubt that is how I will use it. I want to learn rythm and some solo stuff to add to my acoustic songs ?

Finally being an acoustic player I really appreciate the Walnut finish.  The undertstated overall matt finish and lack of fancy inlays also appeals.

Searching on reviews though I dont find nearly as many in fact very few compared to the Epiphone LP range. At the end of the day I guess it's about buying the guitar that feels right rather than going on reviews and following the crowd.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:18:28 PM by Jerrysimon »

Offline Jerrysimon

• View Profile
Re: Ended up looking at a Washburn electric by chance
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »
Not exactly the same model but close enough and an intersting review.

https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/issues/issue-23/reviews/washburn-parallaxe-pxl-10ec/