Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help. Washburn 12 string.  (Read 361 times)

Offline ButchMHS70

• View Profile
Help. Washburn 12 string.
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
Need help and info.  Have chance to pick up a 12 string Washburn, model D-25S 12/N, Ser # 8610116.  Can anyone tell me how old the guitar is and what is worth?  Guitar is in great shape but needs cleaned up and new strings.  Appreciate any information.  Thanks

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Help. Washburn 12 string.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
The six-string D-25 ran 1985-2000; one of Washburn's longest-lived guitar models, ever. Looks like it could have had either a spruce or a cedar top. An unusual model in that very few quality Washie boxes were ever offered in sunburst (D-21, D-25, D-34), so if you have a 'burst that might push cost a little. Could be MIJ, or MIK. In any case, a decent (if underappreciated) guitar.

The 12-string version is harder to find, sold 1985-1992, so likely MIJ.

Ah, the valuation question. By "worth," that varies depending whether you want to know what you ought at most pay, OR what you can quickly sell it for when you snag it. FFI:
http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,26499.0.html

To give you a reasonably accurate number, you should probably tell me about the actual guitar, not a passing glance. How does it play? Is there any rattle/buzz? Is the neck straight? string height good? nut & bridge accurate? any separation at neck heel or bridgeplate? And are there any chips/dings showing wood? Does it have a Washburn hard case?

Lacking that info, I can only estimate/guess...

(RATIONALE --
12-string: $25-$50 more than D-25S.
MIJ: Jim Smith said they're better-sounding than any Washie since.
demand: low
market drive: low
recent similar sales: few. (FWIW, sunburst seems to have no effect on price of six-string.) A 12 went for $350, but another is being ignored at $300. The six has sold for as little as $200.

point of interest -- though a "D" prefix, the D-25 is slope-shouldered, therefore a "southern jumbo" shape.

If near-perfect AND properly adjusted, with case, & you reallyREALLY want a nice 12-string for yourself, you might offer as high as $350.

Drop ~$25 for each of the following:
- string buzz when played
- no case (hard sides, & fitted to sloped shoulders)
- needs minor parts (strap button, bridge pin)
- headstock dings showing wood
- deep marks/gouges/dings on body

Drop ~$50 for each of the following:
- rattle in body when played
- needs moderate repair (broken nut, broken tuner)
- component separations (neck heel, bridgeplate)
- dings showing splinters
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline ButchMHS70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »
Thanks Tony.  Great information.  This would be the first Washburn I have ever owned if I am able to buy it.  It plays very good but needs new strings.  Everything else looks good, but needs cleaned and polished. Neck looks straight and frets in good shape.  String height is good and the nut & bridge look original with little to no wear.  Pick guard is in good shape no scratches.  There is a light spot in the finish on the neck to the top and behind the first fret.  No case is included.  Is electrified (just discovered that when checking out the strap posts) and the pickup mic works well.  Owner said he has not touched the guitar for over 4 or 5 years.  It has been stored in an old case (not included).  I am an average player and a group of us old guys meet once or twice a week to pick and have fun.  I have always liked the sound of a 12 string.  Thought this would fit the bill if I could get it at the right price.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:28:12 PM by ButchMHS70 »

Offline MapleFlix

• View Profile
    • My recordings on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
Hey Butch

afaik, this is the model with laminate ovangkol back & sides. Very nice looking.
this one could be 1988, then it's probably a solid spruce top. MIK as my guess.

My Washburns: D-20SN (1988) - D-30SN (1989) - D-61SW12 (1989) - D-66SW (1979)
Other: Alhambra A4 Steelstring (2015) - Epiphone Sheraton (1988) - Epiphone Mandolin (1990)
Music: soundcloud.com/tonflix