Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2002 J12SN  (Read 104 times)

Offline CTGull

• View Profile
2002 J12SN
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:19:58 AM »
Last night I picked up a 2002 J12SN for $50, with a Martin soft bag (sells for $99 new).  I basically bought a nice Martin bag and got a decent guitar in it!

The action is high (1/8" at the 12th fret), there's a crack in the top (probably lack of humidity at some point) and some finish blushing on the back & waists.  I've fixed cracks and blushing before.  Just about every guitar I buy is a "rescue".  There are a few minor dings and scratches.  Hardly any fret wear though.

Since the bridge is very thick I may remove it, take 1/16" off of the bottom, and glue it back on.

I haven't been able to find much information on this model.  I found it was made from 2001 to 2004 and some basic specs.  I had found a post, I thought in this forum, that had more info but I haven't been able to find it again.  Any help would be appreciated.

I did find a 2001 catalog on the Washburn website.  It describes this model as extremely lightweight and resonant.  While it was somewhat resonant, even with old dead strings, at 4.67 lbs it's far from lightweight.  My favorite 1971 Yamaha FG-110 weighs 3.50 lbs.  And the J12SN seems to have very little bass for a large (16" wide) deep (4.8") body.  BUT, that's exactly what I like.  I don't like a boomy guitar.  It's meant to be a fingerstyle guitar.  I would have expected the string spacing to be a little wider though.

But so far I like it.  I should have started the rehumidifcation to close the crack last night but I kept picking it up once in a while while I was doing research on it.  Maybe tonight.