Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn WD7S Bridge Pins/Saddle/Nut  (Read 1180 times)

Offline DV

• View Profile
Washburn WD7S Bridge Pins/Saddle/Nut
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »
        Hello there!

First post here in the Washburn forums... just going to start by saying I have had my Washburn WD7S for almost a year now, bought 02/01/17 and I'm really enjoying it! Looking to start upgrading it a little bit however and wondering about measurements for the following so I can get these parts in and installed!

Saddle
        Nut
      Bridge Pins

Thanks for your help!
[/list]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:07:36 PM by DV »

Offline DV

• View Profile
Re: Washburn WD7S Bridge Pins/Saddle/Nut
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
Might I add I'm clearly not the tech-savviest (looking at the original post)  :P

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »
OK, so here goes...if it were up to me (and it has been a few times) I'd pull a bridge pin, the saddle, and the nut off the guitar and send them to Bob Colosi at:  www.guitarsaddles.com

The reason I recommend that is there are variations within the Washburn line regarding the taper on the bridge pins as well as variations from the factory on the sizes of the saddles and nuts. If you go to Bob's website he has a section that describes how to take your own very precise measurements for the taper on the bridge pins, etc...but those measurements can be quite precise and even a little bit of variance from the true measurement could certainly make a big difference.

Bob has his phone number on his website and he's the guy who answers the phone. Call him and ask him how he'd prefer to proceed, he won't steer you wrong. When I had Breedlove build me a Revival model (a slot-headed, 12-fretter 000) I had Breedlove contact Bob and give him the specs; he then manufactured the entire "gruppo" (to borrow a term from the bicycle crowd) out of a material of my choice.

It should be noted, however, that even after Bob crafts his new saddle and nut, it will be delivered (intentionally by Bob) slightly oversized so that a luthier or good bench tech can custom fit it to the instrument. The bridge pins will be machined to the size of the bridge pin you send Bob...no need to custom fit the bridge pins to the holes in the bridge, that's why they are tapered.

If you're not handy with a micrometer, leaving it up to Bob is a good choice!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:09:11 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »
Something just occurred to me...If I am remembering  correctly, Washburn started producing it's guitars with a bone "equivalent" saddle and I think matching nut. Bridge pins are probably still plastic.

I mention this b/c you may ALREADY have bone nut/saddle from the factory. To check this out is easy...just grab a sewing pin with a pair of locking hemostats or a pair of needle-nosed vice-grips and hold it in a flame until it gets very hot, then take the pin and poke an out-of-the-way area with the hot tip. If the (for example) saddle is bone, that pin will just leave a small black mark about the size of the pin point; if the saddle is just plastic, the hot pin will melt into the material.

I'll look further.

EDIT---I just went to the grey bar above this grey field where we type in our posts...where it says "Search". Believe it or not, I clicked on that "Search" and got a WHOLE LOT of forum posts regarding the WD7S, which is a couple of years old already. This is what it had to say (in part...all I was looking for was the nut/saddle material):

WD7s   Solid spruce top  Mahogany back and sides  ............  Rosewood fingerboard  Dot inlay  Rosewood bridge  Custom wood inlay rosette  Cream multi-lam  ............  headstock binding  Rosewood fingerboard and bridge with bone nut and saddle

There ya go...all you need may be the bridge pins.

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:58:13 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline DV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
Hey Dugly!

Thank you very much for your help, I'm local to Norwich, U.K, and I just found out about a guy called 'Guitar Medicine Man' who I've heard good things about... I'll check him out- if not, then I'll be sure to try Bob,

Thanks again!

Daniel

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 03:55:46 PM »
Check above...while you were posting I found good news about the saddle and nut!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:59:44 PM by YerDugliness »

Offline DV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
My guess is that that only occurs to a small amount of WD7S examples, I just carried out the 'melt test' shall we call it, and my saddle is definitely not bone! Thanks for looking into it for me though,

Daniel  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:09:00 PM by DV »

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:00:08 AM »
I wonder if Washburn uses real bone for their nuts and saddles. Somewhere in my memory it seems that Washburn was using "synthetic bone", for lack of a better term...perhaps graphite with resin? If that is the case, then yes, the pin would melt the substance. Perhaps you could call Washburn's Customer Service department and ask about the composition of their "bone" nut and saddle?

I'm not a fan of "fake" stuff like a "graphite" saddle...I like the real thing..good old bone! I hope your luthier in Europe can help you, but if he can't Bob sure can!

Good Luck...please keep us informed about how this issue is resolved.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)