Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1989 G8-V, custom? One-off?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
1989 G8-V, custom? One-off?
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
I recently picked up my first Washburn electric and after doing some research, I think it might be a custom or one-off model. I'm hoping to find some 80s Washburn shred guitar experts to help me figure out what I have. The guitar is a MIJ 1989 Washburn G8-V, which appears to be somewhat rare as far as I can tell. Of course the fact that it's 28 years old doesn't help. There is a limited number of G8-V guitars out there but take a close look at the inlays on every G8-V you can find on the web, or the examples I've attached for reference (below), and then take a close look at the one I bought. Every G8-V I can find online has thinner V (or "check" or "boomerang") inlays on the fretboard:

Now check out the thickness of the inlays on this thing. Sorry about the crappy indoor pic. I blew out the exposure so all the dark bits could be easier to see. Anyone know why this one looks different?

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
Re: 1989 G8-V, custom? One-off?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
What's also weird is that the guy I got the guitar from bought it brand new in 1989 but from what info I can find, Washburn only made this model until '88. The neck plate is blank, no serial number, so I can't look up the year it was made. I've read that some others like this are out there with blank neck plates. Not sure why.

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »
Bump for exposure. Anyone? :)

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:20:06 PM »
Interesting. So since the inlay routes were made in the wrong spots, they made them wider to try and correct the error?

That's a sexy beast you have there.

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »
Also, do you know why some guitars didn't come with a serial number? Does yours have one.

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
Wow thanks for the catalog page. I've been looking for one. I really don't get the different inlays but I guess they had their reasons. I read a few posts on other sites (and maybe this one, I can't recall) about other G8-Vs with blank neck plates. Mine definitely has no serial number or anything else on it. Maybe it was swapped out, I dunno.

Thanks again for the info. I've posted in multiple places and you're the first to give me helpful info.

Offline gehowa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
The portion of the product is insured for the candidates. The change and write my paper company is inflicted for the occupied items for the candidates. The enhancement is doe for the content and its production for the candidates.