Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1989 G8-V, custom? One-off?  (Read 237 times)

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
1989 G8-V, custom? One-off?
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
I recently picked up my first Washburn electric and after doing some research, I think it might be a custom or one-off model. I'm hoping to find some 80s Washburn shred guitar experts to help me figure out what I have. The guitar is a MIJ 1989 Washburn G8-V, which appears to be somewhat rare as far as I can tell. Of course the fact that it's 28 years old doesn't help. There is a limited number of G8-V guitars out there but take a close look at the inlays on every G8-V you can find on the web, or the examples I've attached for reference (below), and then take a close look at the one I bought. Every G8-V I can find online has thinner V (or "check" or "boomerang") inlays on the fretboard:

Now check out the thickness of the inlays on this thing. Sorry about the crappy indoor pic. I blew out the exposure so all the dark bits could be easier to see. Anyone know why this one looks different?

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
Re: 1989 G8-V, custom? One-off?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
What's also weird is that the guy I got the guitar from bought it brand new in 1989 but from what info I can find, Washburn only made this model until '88. The neck plate is blank, no serial number, so I can't look up the year it was made. I've read that some others like this are out there with blank neck plates. Not sure why.

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »
Bump for exposure. Anyone? :)

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:20:06 PM »
Interesting. So since the inlay routes were made in the wrong spots, they made them wider to try and correct the error?

That's a sexy beast you have there.

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »
Also, do you know why some guitars didn't come with a serial number? Does yours have one.

Offline RiverDog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
Wow thanks for the catalog page. I've been looking for one. I really don't get the different inlays but I guess they had their reasons. I read a few posts on other sites (and maybe this one, I can't recall) about other G8-Vs with blank neck plates. Mine definitely has no serial number or anything else on it. Maybe it was swapped out, I dunno.

Thanks again for the info. I've posted in multiple places and you're the first to give me helpful info.