Username: Password:

Author Topic: What is a Washburn Savannah Worth  (Read 3023 times)

Offline oceanbreeze

• View Profile
What is a Washburn Savannah Worth
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:48:27 AM »
I have a Savannah Washburn as it says on the top of neck (but no serial number). Anyone know how much they are worth or have more info on them. Had it about 7 years and bought it used because I couldn't get over how nice it sounded, but I'm considering selling it to get an electric acoustic. Any thoughts on its worth would be helpful. Its in good playing condition.

ship of fools

Re: What is a Washburn Savannah Worth
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:49:38 AM »
Nice guitar only built 25 D-56SW or so of those and depends on if Dana B signed  it or his manager ( CPT initials ) built between 1995 - 1996 most folks wont know what it is you have but those that do I am sure it should be around the starting point of $1400.00 US in great shape with case and make sure you mentioned that it was built by Dana Bourgeois firstly for Washburn.
They did reuse the D-56SW as a timbercraft series called Praire Song but those were made later 2005.
jumbo style solid wood sitka top  curly koa back/sides pearl crown inlays

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »
I haven't seen a Bourgeois go past for less than $2,000 in some years.

However, oceanbreeze, there's often a gap between "what it's worth" & "what I can get for it." If a well-known shop were to put it up, they might ask double that, but that's not what you would pocket, & it could easily take months (even a year or two) to find a buyer.

In the case of a high-end bench-made guitar, you first need a proper appraisal. Ideally, that would be a hands-on evaluation by a real-world expert, who could then (for a fee) guide you in maximizing your profit.

Short of that, there are online services that can help. I respect Heritage Auctions, who will do a free thumbnail evaluation & maybe even offer you a cash advance on what they believe can be obtained for it.
https://www.ha.com/free-appraisals.s?ic=Tab-Service-FreeAuctionEvaluation-121913

Cream City Music also has free online assistance.
http://www.creamcitymusic.com/free-appraisals/

Gruhn charges $75. As they have been "heavy hitters" in vintage guitars for half a century, their opinion is highly regarded by pretty much everyone.
https://guitars.com/appraisals
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
Did these even have a serial number? Seems to me like it would be rather pointless, as there were all of 25. Likely they weren't sent out by Breedlove until Washburn received an order, so even a year code that Washburn put on it might be off by a year or more.

Okay, here's how Breedlove did their numbers before 1999 --
a five-digit system was utilized, with the first two digits denoting the year of manufacture, and the second three digits assigned sequentially by instrument completion date (e.g. 96-040.)

Breedlove assigns serial numbers to instruments at the start of production. Because different types of instruments take different amounts of time to complete, they do not usually emerge from the production process in order of serial number. For this reason, it's hard to pin down the end of the building year to a simple set of ranges as expressed above - I would need to list exceptions individually.
http://www.imagineguitars.com/breedlove_resources/instrumentdating.html
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

ship of fools

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »
curious as to why you mentioned breedlove I do not recall them having anything to do with Dana B guitars from what I understand most of these guitars built by him sold fairly quickly and he just got to busy to build for them anymore so thats why the low numbers of his guitars or at least that what I think I remember

Offline ET Music

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
Interesting guitar.  A bit off topic, I just sold my Washburn J-14 Regal Archtop on ebay this morning.  Some say that it was made in the USA, others say Korea.  The neck on it is almost identical to this Savannah acoustic.  Ebony fretboard with very similar crown inlays.  Even the literature from that era call the Savannah guitar part of the "Regal" series.  Makes me wonder if that points to the J-14 being US made after all because its so similar to this Savannah made by Dana B. 

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
curious as to why you mentioned breedlove
Ooops -- my error. That's whatI get for typing before making coffee... ::)

thought of having a shop inspect/sell it and but that may not be fruitful either, if they don't know much about washburn.
If you don't know whether they know much about Washburn, then you're either guessing, or psychic. :o Just a few years ago, Washburn was the #3 best-selling U.S. brand. I figure that any shop actually experienced with vintage acoustics would at least know the Washburn brand, but certainly spot the "made in USA" value. Mention that it's built by Bourgeois, & if they don't recognize THAT name, they have no credibility. (If they expect YOU to prove its origin, then they're fools.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:20:27 PM by Tony Raven »

Offline ET Music

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 07:07:40 PM »
"Just curious, how did you determine that your J-14 was number 8 in a run of 30? "   I did not determine that.  My ad said "supposedly one of 40" which was based on information which I received from several sources including the person whom I purchased it from.  Nothing confirmed, hence the use of the word "supposedly".  The J14 is on its way to a new good home. 

Offline Dummy001

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 07:16:42 AM »
Any numbers on the neck block, inside the guitar? Look inside, back toward the neck.

ship of fools

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
no need to take it to get evaluated it is an original Dana B the best person in the world is bigcity ( he has one of the largest collections of Washburns in the world even bigger then Washburn itself ) as for price well with the market where it is these days I would list it at $1400.00 US without the label it would have been more if Dana's initials where there oh and I see no difference in the soundhole

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:24:33 PM »
I had one. Nice guitars.

D56 SW SAVANNAH (US MFG.)
- Southern Jumbo style, solid Sitka spruce top, solid curly koa back and sides, herringbone rope-style
binding and rosette, mahogany neck, 14/20-fret ebony fingerboard with pearl crown inlay, pearl
headstock logo with three-per-side chrome tuners, ebony Butterfly bridge, tortoise pickguard, Natural
finish, mfg. 1996 only.
Grading 100%        Excellent            Average
              N/A     $1,200 - 1,500     $700 - 850
Last MSR was $3,000.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 01:47:13 AM »
see if it is one of the original D56SW series or from a different series.
I'm pretty certain that there has NEVER been a "Savannah" from any other series.

the Washburn site  states that a guitar without a serial number could also mean it was a prototype.
I cannot fathom why Washburn ever posted that myth -- there simply aren't that many prototypes floating around outside of private collections. (There certainly are short-run oddities like the BT-500.) Three of my Washburn electrics have serial numbers that are typed :o onto little strips of white paper that are glued (lightly) ::) to the back of the headstock. Nobody should be surprised that they sometimes fall off.

In your case, it's not unlikely that the tag wasn't pasted down heavily -- what luthier would WANT to glop up a bench-built guitar?? -- so eventually fell off & was discarded by the owner, or maybe he just thought it was ugly & removed it deliberately.

It's a Bourgeois, period. You could try contacting them directly: https://bourgeoisguitars.net/contact/ (Back then, the shop was only turning out like 150 instruments a year, so they've probably still got all the paperwork.) They might be able to ask about specific details that could help identify it.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »
Tony and Ship are correct. It is a Savannah sans label. There were 50 built. Dana might reply but for the most part is way past all of it. There is a forum member Mainesailes that worked on these in Dana's old shop that has shared information. Last I spoke with him he owned one of the Paramounts. Here's a thread, look at #9
...  http://forums.washburn.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=3892 

Offline oceanbreeze

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 07:21:08 PM »
Appreciate all the shared knowledge. I plan to post it for sale on Reverb within the next week or two with ample pics. It has some wear, but still plays great.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:59:44 AM by oceanbreeze »