Username: Password:

Author Topic: My Washburn  (Read 178 times)

Offline gusto

• View Profile
My Washburn
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:04 AM »
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to find out the value on my Washburn.  I paid $300 for it and I love the way it sounds so I'm comfortable with the purchase no matter what.  That said, it would be nice to know whether or not I did well from a 'value' perspective.  It's black, has a 2 double coil set up, has a locking trem, and grovers.  I'd drop in some pics, but I don't see any place to do that.  The serial number is 2100712.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gusto-

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: My Washburn
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:01:15 AM »
Generally, factory-installed Grover tuners are a good sign!! It points to guiars that are at least at the "serious amateur" level. They're like 1996-2008; the least-expensive guitar with Grovers may have been the BT-2, last retail $340.

While the licensed Rose trems vary widely in quality, they also indicate good-or-better guitars.

However, most Washburns (particularly electrics) are undervalued. Like, the BT-2 is a great guitar, & can readily be found for under $150, often half that.

Do you have a "collectible"? Unlikely. Is it "worth" more than you paid? Probably not. Will you make a profit if you sell it? Highly doubtful. All in all, you probably didn't get ripped off, you probably didn't make a killing. If you have a guitar that plays well AND suits you, then for that alone $300 is not bad.

As for the serial number. Plenty of people will repeat the myth that "the first two digits indicate the year!!" Clearly nonsense, placing yours at either 1921 or 2021. ::) I have two Washburns (definitely 1996-1999) with such numbers. The "two digit" thing seems to have become standard ~2000; before then, some '90s numbers used the first digit. So, at a poor guess, yours MIGHT be 1992. Possible series: Mercury or maybe Chicago (KC).
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline gusto

• View Profile
Re: My Washburn
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:10:39 PM »
Hey Tony,

Thanks a ton for the info.  I recently realized that the model number is right above the plate with Serial Number.  It reads SS10=B.  I googled for that model number but didn't find anything.  Do you know any specifics about this particular model number?

Thanks again for your help,

Gusto-