Username: Password:

Author Topic: OE30 TS - Broken neck  (Read 59 times)

Offline juanrioiv

• View Profile
OE30 TS - Broken neck
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
Hello guys, I have a Oscar Schmidt OE30 TS in sunburst finnish... I was so pleased with this beautiful guitar until I got this problem. The neck is broken, actually is the back part of the headstock. I think it can be from a hit.

The thing is I don't want to fix it, I prefer changing the complete neck (mostly for the dot inlays). I can't find information about the measurements needed for buying a new neck...

Do anyone has schematics of this guitar or can tell me about a replacement neck that will work (for example a Washburn HB30 neck)?

Thank you very much

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: OE30 TS - Broken neck
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 12:01:53 PM »
The neck is held on with four big screws, right? If not, none of the following applies.  ;)

There's some basic measurements that might indicate compatibility. First would be the width of the neck heel, the part that fits into the "pocket" of the body. A neck that's wider than the pocket could be made to fit by milling, but that's probably more complicated than you want to tackle. A neck that's far too narrow can be wedged in, but it'll look odd.

Next is scale length. The quickest way to get an approximate measurement is from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret, then double this. Or you can just save time & guess that because it's a 335 copy, it's got a standard Gibson scale length --  24.75" -- & thus compatible with many guitars that don't look like a Strat or Tele.

If the scale length is the same, & the number of frets is the same, it's probably compatible.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/